Hi All,
(Disclaimer: The following is my opinion only and I do not speak officially for Eric/Wetpixel)
Like all of you I have been really busy. Happy to see continued interest in this project. I believe we have settled on a printer. Basic format will be Landscape, 1 photo per page with really exceptional photos maybe taking two pages. Each page will have a thumbnail picture of the Contributor and basic stats; location, camera, settings. It is possible mfgs and Wetpixel sponsors will be given space. I want to emphasize my commitment to keeping this essentially a “not for profit†project. As I have mentioned before I am willing to work with the printer, handle the shipping and final distribution to members, contributors, buyers. We are leaning to using Adobe InDesign for the layout; if anyone could help out with a copy of this it would be appreciated.
(IMHO) The big time suck would be if we choose 6 categories and everyone submits 2-3 photos per category. I think we have to come up with some kind of rule where you (Contributor) are forced to choose maybe 1-2 categories and only get to submit 1 photo per category. (Depending on interest) I think we have to limit the book to one photo per contributor.
Possible scenario:
We get two Wetpixel members per category to volunteer to be initial editors. We set up a week where people can submit their photos to these volunteers email box for review. The volunteers are mainly looking to see photos meet “minimum standard†and no one is trying to get more than one photo per category. Volunteers make rough cut, put in order (so you don’t have 4 turtle shots in a row) and submit to Main Editor. This process continues 1-2 months until all categories have been covered. At this point all the work gets dumped on Main Editor/s.
To my mind we need help with the following:
1. Categories
3. Setting of a basic minimum standard photos would have to meet
4. A hard count of contributors
5. Some kind of legal waiver for use of photos
6. We need a work flow for picture submission
7. Specific Non-Profit that any profits could go to
Folks let’s try to start moving this past the generalities stage. If you would like to tackle one of these subjects (or any I'm sure I have not thought of), please try to work it all the way through. Try to give us a working component.
I know this could be a fantastic book we just need to stop talking and start doing….
(MEANING NOT DUMPING ALL ON WETPIXEL MGT)