Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

D2X pic and thoughts from Australia Trip

Started by randapex ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

D2X pic and thoughts from Australia Trip

24 posts
  1. OK, I understand now. I find that while I use grouped closest subject priority AFC - (this is not the default - default in group AFC is dynamic focus tracking) I quite often switch to single point AF when I see from the subject that closest focus is not gonna work.

     

    I use the switch on the back of the subal to do this pretty regularly - and it is very conveniently placed to do so (as it will be on other brands of housing too).

     

    The AF system on the D2X is different from the F100 and D100/D70 I have been shooting previously. And certainly there is an adjustment to make as a photographer. I would never have used a closest subject priority on the D100!

     

    I realise that my examples are not directly comparable - i have a bit of thing at the moment of trying to isolate subjects against clean blue water!

     

    Looking forward to seeing more of your W Australia shots.

     

    Alex

  2. Beware closest subject priority with the cam 2000! I found that it is too finely tuned, and almost too fast to use this accurately. For example, picture a dancer in a carnival - shoooting at f4 to isolate the background, an outstretched arm or baton will force the camera to focus close - throwing the intended subject out of focus. with cam 1300 I coud get away with this because the focus points were further apart, and the camera focus was not fast enough to catch the rapid movements. Interesting conundrum nontheless.

  3. Hello Rand

    See you were over here on the Ningaloo Reef.

    Hope you had a nice time.

    You got some nice pics there. Yes lots of Nudibranchs here.

     

    I shoot with a Nikon D70 in a Sea and Sea, and 3CCD video cameras. Waiting on a housing for the FX1 at the moment.

    Here is some pics of the Whale Sharks.

    www.ningalooreefteach.com/sharks.htm

     

    Regards

    Wags

  4. Hi wagsy-

     

    Great stuff. I just jumped around a bit on your site. Lots of info and great photos there. I'll come back and take more time with it as there's lots of information there.

    Thanks for sharing it.

     

    Rand

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.