Thanks LF! Can you or someone else tell me what I would be looking at (approx) price for a housing for a "sony trv" camera? I was looking at the "Light and Motion StingRay II" on the site you mentioned LF but I can't find any prices. Would that be a good housing? I only really need about 40 feet but it has 330 feet, bit of an overkil for me but yeah your input is very much appreciated.
Thanks 
$1700US through Backscatter.com. If you don't mind a flat front port - which will mean less of a wide angle shot u/w - I'd look at the Top Dawg II for $900US, it's a cost-reduced version of the L&M Housing made for Backscatter. (They're across the street from each other in Monterey CA, which explains how they get them)
If you want Electronic controls affordably your only option is a Sony camcorder. For affordable housing options there's Top Dawg or Ocean Images housings. (www.oceanimagesinc.com) O/I housings start at around $850US, many models are around $1100US. Fully electronic controls with either company.
Also look at BHPhotovideo.com - they sell Ikelite, Gates, Equinox, Amphibico and Sea/Sea - but not L&M. They're closed for 2 wks. but their website is current. B&H is a huge photo/video retailer in New York, I've bought from them more than once.
Specify PAL if you add an external monitor for any of these companies. Might also mention where you live, although I believe the controls themselves are universal, it might make a difference for any supplied chargers for lights, extended batteries etc.
I recently helped a friend overseas source a housing so I know all these companies ship internationally.
Steve