Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

dSLR Viewfinder

Started by DiverDude ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

dSLR Viewfinder

11 posts
  1. I'm sure this question has been asked before but couldn't find a definitive thread on it.

     

    How are you folks using a dSLR which doesn't have a preview mode to frame pics? Are you actually looking through the viewfinder and if so, how easy is it to do that? I'm torn between getting a new hi-res P&S with a nice large LCD vs a dSLR with its obvious advantages. :)

     

    DiverDue

  2. Yes, you have too look through the viewfinder. Using a dSLR is diffinatly more work than using a P&S but you eventually get used to it.

     

    I did have to get contacts though, as my uncorrected vision was not good enough to see through the viewfinder.

  3. I shoot both and the dSLR is FAR easier to use than the LCD screen on a point and shoot digicam. The optical view of a dSLR is a lot sharper and brighter than that of an LCD. I rigged a magnifier to my CP5000 LCD screen which helped a lot. I find the EVF on the CP 8400 better than the LCD, and that camera has a nice LCD screen. I wish that the synch cord socket on my housing was further from the EVF so it would be easier to use underwater.

     

    My view is that the viewfinder is easy to use. Shooting through a LCD is a lot harder. On both cameras using the LCD to review photos after you take them is great though. The main reason I love digital more than I ever did shooting film.

  4. I'm sure this question has been asked before but couldn't find a definitive thread on it.

     

    How are you folks using a dSLR which doesn't have a preview mode to frame pics?  Are you actually looking through the viewfinder and if so, how easy is it to do that?  I'm torn between getting a new hi-res P&S with a nice large LCD vs a dSLR with its obvious advantages. :)

     

    DiverDue

     

    All my friends who have gone from the Olympus P&S's to dSLRs of various kinds have indicated to me that they have found that a viewfinder is infinetly better than the LCD for a number of reasons.

     

    Firstly you are looking through the lens so you can actually SEE what the camera is looking at and focus is so much easier to determine. On a small LCD screen that is not easy to do at all.

     

    LCD's also tend to have a very slight delay so you are generally looking at something that is not quite what you are seeing which can effect composition.

     

    Lastly it is easy to block external light from the viewfinder so you do not have to deal with washout or other external factors that you have to with a back LCD. Most good housings have external viewfinder additons of various costs to help those with less than perfect vision or different view angles if necessary. I am lucky to have perfect vision, but I do have a viewfinder on my latest housing which is extremely user friendly.

     

    In my mind the viewfinder is actually a reason to get a dSLR rather than a concern anyone should have.

     

    M

  5. OK, so you've convinced me to go dSLR. Now I gotta go mortgage the house and decide which one I want! :)

  6. Well, how much is your house worth. That will be the deciding factor on wich one you can get.....LOL

     

    But really, they are all so good, you cant go wrong with any of them....

  7. DiverDue

    It's ironic that today I came across your post... I entered the wetpixel forums today with the same question to ask. I have been frequenting the forums ( at wetpixel and also at cavediver.net) trying to find out which non-SLR camera I should consider buying, and had settled on either the Canon G6, Oly C-8080 or Sony V3., only to discover that none of these have the macro and wide angle capabilities that I am looking for. I also like the idea of buying something now, with the ability to add to it in the future as my skills grow i.e.. macro and wide angle lenses, etc... , and then it hit me...the Nikon D70, with an Ikelite housing and the accompanying strobe(s) seems to fill the bill, and seems to be popular amongst UW photographers from novice to pro...one problem, I discovered that you have to use the view finder instead of that great LCD screen on the back.a function which i had grown accustomed to using with my last setup, a humble Canon A70 with the Canon Housing..it was almost a deal breaker for me until I read some of the responses to your original post...I am still shopping and need a few more answers but the D70 (actually the new upgraded D70s is due out any time now) has my vote for now. Granted I am definitely concerned about making a big investment for an item that will be seemingly awkward to use, but the serious photographers seem to go the dSLR direction and they cannot all be wrong...I suppose that we have to learn this trick or be satisfied with the limitations of the point and shoot...plain and simple...I did the math...three grand plus by the time you add the camera with the stock lens, the Ike housing, the big memory card(s), extra battery, strobe (or two?)...fortunantly for me I already have the Ultralite arms), and later the new lenses might require altering the Ikelite port (they have a variety of ports to accommodate all the available lenses) B&H Camera has a good selection of stuff, and pretty competitive prices here is a link :

     

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...&Q=RootPage.jsp

     

    Well, I just wanted add my thoughts to the discourse, good luck in your search, I hope that you will post back here as you find out information ..perhaps we can share our research and mutually benefit...safe diving....J.K.

     

    P.S. I am open to any input, suggestions ,or direction anyone might have to offer regarding my current but constantly fluctuating opinion......J.K.

  8. Hey Guys

     

    At the risk of bucking a trend, I actually found framing a shot with my CP5000/Subal easier than my D100/Subal. The CP5 is awesome because of the 45 degree viewfinder. It is often possible to get the camera into a position that you cannot get your body into - and still be able to see the image on the LCD. Try that on a a DSLR!

     

    However there is no doubt that DSLRs produce a better image. I am delighted with the switch; and the DSLR package will really grow with you as you learn more.

     

    As for the cost: ouch. It cost me more than the thing I have with a wheel at each corner. Its more fun though.

  9. I'm with Tim.

     

    If you can't house a big sports finder, a 2.5 inch LCD, (such as on my V3), is the next best thing.

     

    Don

  10. Hmm... while it may be big, an LCD on a compact digicam is still made up of pixels. While the time-lag between "real life" and what you see on the LCD screen isn't as bad as it used to be, it's still there. Also, while an image might look like it's in focus on the LCD, let's face it - it's impossible to really tell - due to the fact that there aren't that many pixels.

     

    DSLR viewfinders are wysiwyg.

     

    Cheers

    James

  11. James, I can't tell critical focus, very well, in my housed n90s. That is why I always use it on Auto focus. And autofocus works, so there isn't a problem. The smallish optics in the ike housings do not allow critical focus determination all that well.

     

    The lag is the only issue, but that is getting closer and closer to video rates...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.