Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Over / Under shots

Started by onokai ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Over / Under shots

10 posts
  1. On over/under shots I have wiped my port with mask fogger with a shamey to lessen the droplets from sticking. It has worked ok. Is there anything better out there for this??. what have you used?? Mark

  2. I know this sounds obvious but many people don't consider it. The best way to stop droplets is not to get the top of the dome wet in the first place.

     

    So get in specifically with a dry housing to do split levels or do your split levels at the start of the dive!

     

    That works best for me!

     

    D2_comp2.jpg

  3. You'll have to tell me how you make up that shot one day Alex..

  4. I've had excellent results from RVR Rain Repellent. This is formulated expressly for acrylic windscreens and won't damage acrylic dome surfaces as Rain-X and other similar products will.

     

    Sporty's Pilot Shop is the source I use. A single application has lasted a couple of dives for me.

     

    All the best, James

  5. I don't use anything except maybe patience to let then drops fall , never had a problem

    post-1719-1114937848_thumb.jpg

  6. Carry a small bottle of Johnsons Baby Shampoo... just rub it on the outside of the lens port just prior to the dive and rinse it off in the water when you jump in...

     

    Works great for anit-fog juice on your mask too... and it won't sting your eyes :)

     

    Alex shows a great example... make sure the lens is as close to perpendicular to the

    scene as possible... and you might get one like Alex's... if you don't the line between

    the underwater and above water will be wide and distract from the intended picture.

     

    Alex's and Jerome's examples shows a very thin line....

     

    And it helps to have a large dome port on the housing to start with :)

    Edited by Dixter
  7. I know this sounds obvious but many people don't consider it. The best way to stop droplets is not to get the top of the dome wet in the first place.

     

    So get in specifically with a dry housing to do split levels or do your split levels at the start of the dive!

     

    That works best for me!

     

    D2_comp2.jpg

     

    Alex,

    I've been drooling over your over/unders, particularly the ones on your D2X Cayman gallery. Care to share your exposure technique?

     

    Larry

  8. Hi guys! Personally i like very much Chips with Checkup! :-)

    Try simple a potato, cut it and use it like a sponge on your dome port...

    After that jump and look, drops of water will go away from your ports! :-)

     

    ERIK

  9. Usefule hints. Anyone of you over/under snappers got any idea where I'll find a split field +4, ø77mm filter..? Got a spare +4 filter but all opticians I've talked to says it'll break if they try to cut it in half (and it wont break nicely in half..).

  10. I had several made ( the glass cur) then I assembeled the rest. This takes some work. I also bought a subal one on E-bay. I think you can order them from subal?. Get a big one and use step down rings so you can use many lens. Mark

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.