Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Which 3-4Mp camera for land & sea, on a budget?

Started by spearo ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

Which 3-4Mp camera for land & sea, on a budget?

24 posts
  1. I think the DSC-P93 is the way for me to go. It's actually called the DSC-P93A don't know if that makes any difference. Maybe I should get just a 512 card instead of a 1Gb. I like the idea of AA batteries instead of a proprietry pack.

     

    It would be really nice if this camera used standard SD card instead of sony pro card (those things are so expensive!).

     

    If I go the Sony DSC-P93A instead of the Canon Ixus 30 I will be paying an extra $130 is it worth the extra do you think?

    Edited by spearo
  2. If you want to take the camera in the water, then it stacks up like this: Ixus 30 has no housing and I seriously doubt it ever will. Sony P93 has a housing on the market now. So given that it is no go with the Canon and a definite yes with the Sony, I'd say it's probably worth the extra money. Oh, and you get 5MP instead of 3MP plus manual control if you need it . . .

     

    Mike

  3. I've got a DSC-P100 that I'm very happy with. Pics here: http://www.fauncefamily.net/album

     

    I'd skip the DSC-P93, it's going to have lag and other "last generation" issues. The DSC-P93 is actually several generations behind (P93-> P10 -> P100/120/150 (same cameras at 5/6/7 MP) -> P200)

     

    I'm planning on getting a P150 for my wife as it uses the same housing as the P100 and she's getting tired of the lag and response time on her P10. I'd get a P200, but there isn't a housing and according to Sony support desk, there isn't one on the horizon either unless the successor to the P200 uses the same body -- like the W series, the housing with introduced with the W7 and worked with the W5 and W1 since they use the same body.

     

    Inon also has a kit to allow their strobes and external lenses to work with the MPK-PHB housing that the P100/120/150 use so you have an easy "growth" path with that system.

     

    A 256MB Pro card holds just over 100 pics (I usually get about 110-115 before filling the card). I've played with the video part, but haven't really used it, so I don't have a clue how much video a 256MB card would hold.

     

    As someone else stated the battery in the P100 holds a charge pretty well. I typically fill the 256MB card on two dives and the battery is still going strong, even with forcing the internal flash on every shot. I've got 2 batteries and an external charger, so I swap batteries when I empty memory stick.

    Edited by mdfaunce
  4. I think you can go for a Sony DSC-P150 and the PHB housing it is really good

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.