Can I add my bit to this discussion?
Many years ago to be an 'amateur' photographer meant being a craftsman, honing away at a skill for the sheer joy of it. Many amateurs then, and perhaps a few now, produced outstanding photographs because they had all the time that they could afford to devote to their hobby. And they produced them because they WANTED to.
Now speaking as a professional photographer, I have specific shots to produce, deadlines to meet, costs to be met etc., etc., etc.. I do shoot stock images and have had many thousands of underwater photographs published and this has been a part of my income. I have specialised in terms of what I photograph and to be honest I sell photos of subjects I understand, can caption and describe and for which there is a modest market for.
I am constantly baffled why everyone with a camera wants to make money from their photography. Sometimes its kudos (no idea why this should be, as professional photographers are hardly ever celebs or anything), sometimes its because people want to see their images published (as I freely admit do I) and sometimes it is to make a few dollars/pounds on the side.
If its the latter, can I suggest that in terms of the time and effort, there are far easier ways of doing so!
I have a friend who is an outstanding nature photographer. He has retired from his occupation and now devotes a lot of time to his photography. He refuses to sell photos, only occasionally producing a print (for a charitable donation). His reasoning is sound - he enjoys photography and doesn't want to spoil his enjoyment by having to think about whether a shot is saleable when he takes it.
I