Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Can FlashTrax display NEF?

Started by Arnon_Ayal ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Can FlashTrax display NEF?

8 posts
  1. In smartdisk site it written that the FlashTrax can display some RAW formats including the Nikon's NEF.

    Does someone know for sure if it's supported the Nikon NEF of the D70?

    Any other data on this device will be helpful also especially from people with experience with it.

  2. The flashtrax does display NEF files from D70. However it does this by accessing the JPEG stored within the NEF therefore you can't zoom into them.

     

    Overall fairly positive about this device. However it does feel fairly flimsy and the build quality isn't the best. The screen is pretty low quality as well and doesn't really give you a much better idea than the one on the back of the camera. However it does give you peace of mind that the photos have been transferred.

     

    You might want to look at the Epson P2000 as an alternative.

  3. Thanks.

    I'm also prefer the Epson but I sow few used FlashTraxs in EBay around 250$ - half the price of new FlashTrax or Epson so I thought to try it.

  4. I use a Flashtrax 20gig for my Nikon D100. It has held up well over the last 14months and several trips. I agree the screen is mainly good for dumping poorly composed shots. I am not one for doing any editing while on a trip, to busy diving, so it beats packing a laptop.

  5. I use a Flashtrax 20gig for my Nikon D100.  It has held up well over the last 14months and several trips.  I agree the screen is mainly good for dumping poorly composed shots.  I am not one for doing any editing while on a trip, to busy diving, so it beats packing a laptop.

    Thanks, I understand you fount this device robust enough.

    I don't look for any review on this kind of devices only to check and be sure the photos are saved. I have a very bad experience with a device like the old X-drives that don't let you see the pictures and only at home I realized that this @#%$.. device overwrite some of my shots.

  6. I have used the old 20GB version (called Phototainer) for over 2 years now with a D100.

     

    In general, I have been quite pleased with it but occasionally, the thing could be a bit temperamental. When copying from a CF card, it would hang over and over again. Normally, you just slide the card in, press the Copy button et voila. However, I often had to manually select the photos on the card and then Copy / Paste onto the Phototainer's hard disk. Last year, I even had to resort to plugging it to a laptop to copy the images, which sort of defeated the purpose ! However, since upgradiung the firmware, it has been quite stable.

     

    For some reasons, it is very quick to display NEF files, but very slow for JPGs.

  7. I wonder whether an X'S drive might be a viable alternative.

     

    It displays D70 NEF with a firmware upgrade...

     

    http://www.xs-drive.com/mmv/

  8. I wonder whether an X'S drive might be a viable alternative.

     

    It displays D70 NEF with a firmware upgrade...

     

    http://www.xs-drive.com/mmv/

    Some clue about it's price?

    Their past products worked very well (at list thus I know)

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.