Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Pelican 1620 vs Storm 2750

Started by UWPhotoTech ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Pelican 1620 vs Storm 2750

15 posts
  1. There's been a lot of talk and a few articles lately about the Storm cases being much lighter than the respective Pelican cases. We checked specs in the catalogs and the published shipping weights and we could not come to a conclusion. So we decided to do a side by side test. We already stocked the Pelican 1624 (1620 with the Padded Divider Set) and we ordered the Storm 2750 Case with the Padded Divider Set.

     

    Here's what we found:

     

    Pelican 1620 Case Empty: 20 lbs.

    Storm 2750 Case Empty: 18.5 lbs

     

    Pelican 1624 Case (1620 with Padded Divider Set): 23.5 lbs

    Storm 2750 Case with Padded Divider Set: 25 lbs.

     

    The Pelican Case with the Padded Divider set is actually 1.5 lbs less than the Storm Case. In testing other Pelican vs Storm cases the same is holding true, the empty weight of the Storm Case is generally about one pound less than the Pelican. But the weight with the Padded Divider Set is actually higher with the Storm Case.

     

    One final comment, these are both great cases and I can easily recommend that you use either one. I like the locking latches and the wheels on the Storm Cases. I like the Padded Diver set better on the Pelican cases. The Pelican cases also offer more protection on the bottom of the case. So in the end the choice come down to a personal decision as to which case works for you. But as you can see the actual weight of the cases is not a realistic decision factor.

  2. Interesting!

     

    I love my Storm 2750, and use it with a Pelican padded divider set (it fits). So in theory, that combination should be 22.5 lbs, right?

  3. Leave it to Eric to come up with the ideal combination :o The Storm 2750 has bumps in two corners to allow room for the wheels. The Storm Divider set is unpadded over these two bumps. Using the Pelican Divider set will not only lighten the setup but it will offer better protection in those two corners. Nice going Eric!

  4. I know these are nice bags, but with the new 50lb. limits, I'm looking at more options to lower my luggage weight.....22.5 lbs empty seems like a lot to start with.

     

    Any other ideas besides paying overweight charges?

     

    Karl

  5. You can further reduce your weight by taking off the wheels. That took out 1.9- 2.6lbs. Just get a Porter case PC I or II. Do realize that the Porter case DOES NOT FIT in the sizewise check at airports, so airlines technically can say that you have to check it. I've had a few problems in SYD, BNE, HKG and LHR with it but they finally let me through because I'm a million mile flier. It is also limited by not have a top handle but you can use the handle bar. The porter case can take up to 200lbs of weight acting as a cart and is tall enough to take 1 2975 stormcase(formerly 1620) and 1 XL duffel and maybe 1 medium suitcase.

    As for the new weight limits, fly the airlines that haven't changed them yet. Or wear a multipocket jacket and throw everything that's heavy in it and hand carry the housing.

    Also it's interesting about the cases that the manufacturers specs are:

    1620 empty 24.5lbs/ 26.1lbs with foam.

    2750 empty 18.5lbs

    My old 1620 weighed exactly 24.4lbs empty and with the foam (not pads) 26lbs. Removing the wheels and handle took off 2.6lbs.

    My 2975 weighs 22.4 lbs but I've taken off the telescope handle and wheels and it's down to 20.7 lbs.

    UWPhototech

    Funny enough the 1610 is listed as 20lbs by pelican. Are you weighing them independently or going by the manufacturer specs?

    Edited by scubadru
  6. These are measured weights using a digital shipping scale.

  7. Well then Pelican has either really lousy QC (since my old 1620 is at spec) in having 4lbs variation in products, changed the design and didn't update the specs, or has a very silly marketing department which sells it short by 4 lbs. 4 lbs is a lot nowadays. Thanks for the info.

  8. I too use the Storm 2750 with Pelican padded dividers. I can usually get my housing (or two sometimes) and ports in there, as well as some strobes and chargers and get under the 50# limit.

     

    Karl, you saw my setup for the Bahamas trip right? Two housings, etc... I think that weighed in at 55#

     

    Cheers

    James

  9. There's been a lot of talk and a few articles lately about the Storm cases being much lighter than the respective Pelican cases. We checked specs in the catalogs and the published shipping weights and we could not come to a conclusion. So we decided to do a side by side test. We already stocked the Pelican 1624 (1620 with the Padded Divider Set) and we ordered the Storm 2750 Case with the Padded Divider Set.

     

    Here's what we found:

     

    Pelican 1620 Case Empty: 20 lbs.

    Storm 2750 Case Empty: 18.5 lbs

     

    Pelican 1624 Case (1620 with Padded Divider Set): 23.5 lbs

    Storm 2750 Case  with Padded Divider Set: 25 lbs.

     

    The Pelican Case with the Padded Divider set is actually 1.5 lbs less than the Storm Case. In testing other Pelican vs Storm cases the same is holding true, the empty weight of the Storm Case is generally about one pound less than the Pelican. But the weight with the Padded Divider Set is actually higher with the Storm Case.

     

    One final comment, these are both great cases and I can easily recommend that you use either one. I like the locking latches and the wheels on the Storm Cases. I like the Padded Diver set better on the Pelican cases. The Pelican cases also offer more protection on the bottom of the case. So in the end the choice come down to a personal decision as to which case works for you. But as you can see the actual weight of the cases is not a realistic decision factor.

  10. I concur with Dave's findings on the weight of the 1620. Mine weighs in at exactly 23.5 lbs with the padded dividers. What no one else is talking about is that you can lose an additional 4.5 lbs by removing the bottom panel, wheel assembly and handle, bringing the net weight in at 19 lbs!!!

    This is easily done with the proper square drive bit chucked into your choice of electric drill, and is just as easily restored.

    Think about it, if you are traveling abroad, you generally have use of a trolly at the airport, other willing helpers (aka "dive sherpas"), etc. You don't really need the wheels, and wouldn't you love to have the extra 4.5 lbs for that extra body, lens, regulator, strobe, batteries, tools, spare parts... ?

    Travel light!

    Ron Lagerlof

    Lauadi Bob Productions

    Los Angeles, CA

  11. ...Just get a Porter case PC I or II. Do realize that the Porter case DOES NOT FIT in the sizewise check at airports, so airlines technically can say that you have to check it. I've had a few problems in SYD, BNE, HKG and LHR with it...The porter case can take up to 200lbs of weight acting as a cart and is tall enough to take 1 2975 stormcase(formerly 1620) and 1 XL duffel and maybe 1 medium suitcase...

     

    I, too, am a big proponent of the Porter Case (I'd suggest PC II with only the felt lining). It fits in all but the smallest puddle-jumper overhead bins. As for it not fitting in the sizewise boxes at gates, I've primarily run into trouble with that in Australia (where they're pretty hard core about it). My solution? I always carry one of those little nylon packs that folds up into itself into a fist-sized pouch. If/when I'm told my PC is too big and has to be gate-checked, I unfold the nylon pack and put everything breakable (laptop, camera gear, etc.) from the PC into it, and then gate-check the (practically empty) PC and carry on the nylon pack. The Porter Case really is an amazing piece of luggage; I'm always able to stack both checked bags (Pelican 1610 and duffel) plus my other carry-on on it and breeze my way around airports pulling all that stuff with one hand. Never have to worry about finding a hand-cart.

     

    I must say I'm a bit frustrated to hear that the Pelican and Storm cases are essentially the same weight! Based on the difference in "advertised" weights, I just ordered a Storm to replace my Pelican last week, figuring I was going to save at least 5 lbs! <_< Oh well, at least I ordered Pelican padding for it!

  12. Does anyone have any links as to where I can purchase the divider sets for the Storm cases ?

     

    All of the online suppliers I try so far seem to bundle the set in rather than sell seperatly.

     

    I figure I made a mistake going foam ( as it was cheaper ), it is a pain.

     

    Paul C

  13. Just returned from a trip where I saw two 2950 storm cases the latches are suberb to peli's But the peli dividers are lighter. I think I'm after 2 of them with peli dividers. The yellow ones really stand out. any leeds on west coast outlets? Mark

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.