Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Schooling wahoo?!

Started by bmyates ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Schooling wahoo?!

11 posts
  1. Hi all! I'm new to Wetpixel forums, although I recognize a number of you from other uw photo boards/lists. As I "evolve" here (apparently my descriptor changes as I reach number-of-post milestones) from plankton, sea-squirt, cucumber, etc. to something more dignified (stargazer or Napoleon wrasse would be nice), I'll attempt not to blather on, but only post when I have something of interest or value to contribute. Before a brief intro to "who I am" (photographically speaking)...

     

    QUESTION:

    Do wahoo school? I was at Taco Time recently, and on the menu they had fish tacos made with wahoo! Since all the wahoo I've seen have been "loners," cruising along near the surface, I couldn't imagine how a big restaurant chain would get enough wahoo meat to make a menu item out of it! Is it possible that they're using that name for some "other" fish? Or are there fleets of wahoo boats trolling the world's oceans for the few lone wahoos...? Or are there -- somewhere in the world I've never been -- huge schools of wahoo?

     

    OK, now to briefly introduce myself. You can follow the evolution of my photo gear (and work) by looking at the uw photo portion of my website: www.seattleyates.com . I apologize for including many "poor quality" photos in with the good ones - the site has been mostly for the benefit of friends and family, who love seeing all the variety and color.

     

    I'm a rank amateur uw photographer. I've never sold (or even tried to sell) a single photo; it's just a very expensive hobby/obsession with me. That's not to say I'm not SERIOUS about it; I am driven by the same quest as the rest of you - better and better results. I just don't do it for profit. (Note: neither do I GIVE my photos away, out of respect for those of you who DO try to make a living at this.)

     

    I started out (about 12 years ago) shooting Hi-8 video. My first liveaboard with my new uw camcorder rig, my roommate - and dive buddy - happened to be Stan Waterman. He was kind, helpful, and very "Stan" (those who know him know what I mean).

     

    A year or two later, I got the still-photography bug, and got an Ikelite housing for my Minolta SLR because I had "hundreds" of dollars worth of Minolta lenses. (BIG mistake, BTW - don't start down the road of getting a housing because of a camera/lenses you own - get the best, well-known UW camera you can afford that will do the job you want it to do.)

     

    For years, I traveled with both rigs, alternating stills and video, or - when one flooded - using the other the rest of the trip (has happened 3 times). Over the years, I kept "upgrading" (you all know the song)...

     

    For awhile I used Sony "PC" Mini-DVs in L&M housings, because - in a very small package - I could take video and/or 1 megapixel (now 3 megapixel) stills on the same dive with the same camera. I put my big ice chest in storage; my entire photo/video rig was in one small (carryon!) Pelican case...ah, those were the days of lightweight luggage!

     

    Of course, then I had to add a digital point-and-shoot (5 megapixel Coolpix 5000 in L&M Tetra housing with one S&S strobe). That worked well for awhile, but the camera (not housing) got knocked off the camera table by a friend last year in Grenada. A few months before that, I had been on the Cayman Aggressor with a fellow who had a Canon 1Ds in a Seacam housing, and - comparing photos of the same subjects after each dive - I developed a serious case of pixel envy.

     

    The demise of my Coolpix gave me the excuse I needed to spend my next 10 years' photography budget and get a 1DMkII and Seacam housing, which I used on one trip to Komodo last fall, and then upgraded the camera to the 1DsMkII, which (famous last words) I expect to last me a LONG TIME!

     

    Well, that's about it. Thanks to all who've already given me advice and assistance in other venues in the past, and thanks in advance for the insights and knowledge I know I'll glean from frequenting Wetpixel forums. I'll certainly try to offer a helping hand myself when I have something to contribute...

     

    I'll attach a few photos. The froggie is from St. Vincent, the rest from Indonesia.

     

    Safe diving!

    post-65-1117750819_thumb.jpg

    post-65-1117750851_thumb.jpg

    post-65-1117750905_thumb.jpg

    post-65-1117750931_thumb.jpg

    Edited by bmyates
  2. Hi Bruce,

     

    Welcome to Wetpixel - it's great to have you here.

     

    I've had a lot of experience with Wahoo, catching them, seeing them in the water here in the Gulf, and yes, eating them too.

     

    Wahoo do not school in large numbers, but when you catch one, there are usually a few others around. The wahoo fishery is a hook and line fishery, so for the most part, I'd call it sustainable.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Hi Bruce,

     

    Welcome to Wetpixel. Good to have another UW Photography fanatic here!

     

    Good to see someone else who had been through several "last camera I'll ever need"!

     

    Alex

  4. Bruce!

     

    Welcome!

     

    another UWPhoto member here is a good thing! btw, I have never seen them school either. Had a few taco from a fresh catch though!

  5. They almost travel in PODS :D

     

    Joe

  6. Welcome Bruce.....we understand your plight :D:D:D

     

    We're all on the 12 step uw photography plan here ;);)

     

    Karl

  7. Welcme Bruce, nice to have you here! Regards :D

  8. Welcome Bruce.....we understand your plight  :D  :D  ;) 

     

    We're all on the 12 step uw photography plan here  ;)  ;)

     

    Karl

     

    Karl, I thought that you were on the 12 step program for each foot, at least that's what Kimberly told me.

     

    :D;)

  9. Bruce,

     

    I've fished for wahoo. Adults tend to swim in pods of 7ish. Sadly, they behave like dorado and will follow a hooked buddy to the boat. They're caught on a very fast troll. Wahoo over 50 lbs are pretty common off Baja islands.

     

    Wahoo:

    http://www.landbigfish.com/fish/fish.cfm?ID=121

     

     

    BTW - I checked out your website. I'm very jealous of the travel and camera.

     

    -- will

  10. Yes! Wahoo indeed, do school but you will not see them tightly packed like some other schooling fish. They tend to swim on loose packs when traveling together. It is common to see singles, pairs or small groups. As a freediver and lover of fresh fish, I have become quite familiar with the habits of wahoo.

     

    Wahoo can be found in the blue water often 3 to 15 feet from the surface. Try freediving over pinnacles or on the outer blue water edge of steep drop offs in tropical or subtropical oceans.

     

    Photographing one well would be a challenge. These fish DO NOT like to be looked at. The best way to get close to one is to ignore it and DO NOT make eye contact. Just look out of the corner of your eye and turn away from the fish. Wait for several seconds and then slowly look over your shoulder. If you do it right, the wahoo will not feel threatened and will become curious as to why you turned away and may come in very close to have a better look at you.

     

    You should be able to get a nice photo at this point.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Joe Tobin

  11. Thanks for the tip Joe.

     

    Another option would be to troll a Flashdancer until you hook one. Bring it in close, and then jump in hoping the rest of the fish will come to the back of the boat.

     

    Be careful when handling wahoo btw - they can cut your fingers off if you are not careful.

     

    Cheers

    James

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.