Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Gear Question

Started by dawktah ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Gear Question

11 posts
  1. I purchased the Ikelite housing for my digital rebel and was somewhat surprised as to how large it is. However, once in the marine environment it became neutrally buoyant. I am looking for suggestions on how to manage this camera in combination with being able to control BCD, read gauges and take photographs, etc. Taking AOW course in BVI, but wanted to buy my own reg. and computer ahead of time. Right now doing rental.

     

    1. Is there any advantage to using a side exhaust 2nd stage such as Oceanic Omega II

    2. Any known issues with hoseless/wireless wrist computers?

    3. Is there any insurance that can be obtained to cover lost or stolen equipment?

    4. Any type of equipment _NOT_ to buy?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Chris

    Edited by dawktah
  2. I am looking for suggestions on how to manage this camera in combination with being able to control BCD, read gauges and take photographs, etc.

     

    Practice and experience. Familiarity with your own gear will help, but nothing beats experience. I was a pretty experienced diver before I took a housed camera with me. The first dive was pretty messy.

     

    1. Is there any advantage to using a side exhaust 2nd stage such as Oceanic Omega II

     

    No. Your face will be pressed against the housing. Bubble interference is not an issue. The side exhaust may actually stick out further, making it more difficult to get close to the housing.

     

    2. Any known issues with hoseless/wireless wrist computers?

     

    Yes, they can lose transmission. I've owned several. My Suunto is the worst. I still use it, but have an SPG as a backup. This means I have a reg with 2 HP ports.

     

    3. Is there any insurance that can be obtained to cover lost or stolen equipment?

     

    Yes, but I don't have any. Someone else can point you in the right direction.

     

    4. Any type of equipment _NOT_ to buy?

     

    Don't get me started. :D The three most important features for BC and wetsuit are 1) fit 2) fit and 3) fit.

     

    Skip the frilly overwrought stuff, e.g. 20 d-rings, 44lbs + lift, alternate air source/inflator combos.

     

    All major brands of regs work fine. Some offer high performance regs that cost a lot. It's a personal decision as to whether it is worth it.

  3. On a non-photographic note concerning side-exhausting regulators, I used to dive with a Dacor Viper. The reg worked well enough, but it had a slight tendency to breath wet if you got any water in it. In order to purge it fully, I would have to tilt my head so the exhaust valve faced downwards and purge the water out. It wasn't enough to interfere with your breathing. It was just really annoying.

     

    As far as buying equipment, try to stay away from bulky or heavy items if you plan on traveling a lot. With the airlines reducing weight restrictions, its getting harder and more expensive to take all the gear you want on a trip. For example, I have a set of full foot fins (means I don't have to pack booties), but the fins are too long for my gear bag. Always keep in mind your size and weight constraints.

  4. As to your question about insurance, both DAN and DEPP offer insurance for gear. There are slight pro's and con's to each company, so look at the details carefully before choosing.

     

    They also offer flood protection for your camera equipment.

     

    I am also well know for reminding folks they should be pretty darn good divers before taking a camera down... I get flamed a bit for it too, but so be it!

  5. Every diver is different, and a problem for one diver may be the answer to another. My suggestion is to dive with the housing and evaluate what works (or doesnt work) for you.

     

    Joe

  6. 2. Any known issues with hoseless/wireless wrist computers?

     

    Yes, they can lose transmission.  I've owned several.  My Suunto is the worst.  I still use it, but have an SPG as a backup.  This means I have a reg with 2 HP ports.

     

    [skip the frilly overwrought stuff, e.g. 20 d-rings, 44lbs + lift, alternate air source/inflator combos. 

     

     

    Can you regain signal or once its lost its a done deal until you resurface? I purchased Oceanic Air2 combined. If I have any trouble with it will go back to separate alternate. I was trying to avoid dangling items. Have to give wrist more thought, but still think will go that route. Friend that dives said you can regain signal by placing arm near transmitter. I am overly cautious by nature and will probably place new batteries in transmitter every dive trip. May get SPG and tuck it away tightly if I have the open port.

  7. . Any known issues with hoseless/wireless wrist computers?

     

    I have about 30 dives with a Suunto Vytec, no problems so far even with others on the boat having the same computer. My wife has an Aladin AirZ which she's used for about 70 dives with no problem. On a recent dive it did lose communication but reconnected very quickly.. If you're in a strong current, trying to hold your camera and trying to hold on to a rock, air integrated to the computer is much easier than trying to look at a console IMHO..

     

    James

  8. I dive with an Oceanic Data Trans Plus (older model wireless wristmount) and a Dacor Viper reg.

     

    The wireless transmitter does lose connection on me occasionally, and yes holding it closer to the transmitter usually helps. It automatically tries to regain connection, and you can also hit a button to try to force it to reconnect. The only time I've had to abort a dive due to a lost connection was when the transmitter battery started dying (it's supposed to warn you, but it failed to in my case). I will shortly add a backup SPG/depth gauge on a shorter hose, and leave it clipped in tight.

     

    As for the side-exhaust, I think my Viper DOES have a lower profile than most standard dual-exhaust systems. It is also convenient that with a slight tilt of the head, all the bubbles no longer obscure my vision. Matter of preference, I expect.

  9. I've been diving a Dacor viper for about 4 yrs. I figured that it would be nice and small and it would direct the bubbles away from my camera housing.

     

    I have recently decided I don't like it anymore. I wear it with the hose coming in from the left and the exhaust on the right. When I tilt my head for a portrait shot, the exhaust points up and it freeflows. It has no manual adjustment to stop this. Despite having it adjusted twice and trying to adjust it myself, I just can't get it to stop...

     

    Cheers

    James

  10. I've had my Viper for around 3 years. My only real complaint with the reg itself is, as mentioned, that it does tend to breathe a little wet - but I do like its simplicity, and I've never had it fail on me in any other way...

     

    ...except the last time I had it serviced, they mis-adjusted it, and made it first too hard to breathe, and then too easy (and it would freeflow when pointing up, just as you say). I finally took the cover off and tweaked it just so myself, and it was back to normal. It really does sound, James, like it just needs to have the lever nut tightened up a bit.

     

    Again, not saying it's the best reg around, but it is a pretty solid performer. I think it's pretty easy to get the adjustment out of whack during servicing, though.

  11. Ironically I was looking at an article in National Geographic and the divers were diving in the Cenotes and were using the Poseidon reg, which is the reg the Oceanic is modeled after. Very interesting article.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.