Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Your Favourite Photographers

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 82Posts
  • 82Replies

Read-only discussion

Your Favourite Photographers

82 posts
  1. I think we have some outstanding photographers right here at Wetpixel. Having seen Eric's, James' and Alex's photos along with others, I think they represent some of the finest work out there. The part I enjoy most is reading everyone's experiences with new gear. I've always believed that photography is part art and part science. Reading reviews and articles here gives me my science fix.

     

    Some of my other favorites:

     

    Mike Waters- used to work for Stephen Frink. An outstanding photographer and teacher.

     

    Brian Skerry- I've had the pleasure of diving with Brian here in New England. His work for National Geographic is great.

     

    David Doubilet- I used to read the National Geographic articles that contained his photos. The first time I met David was at Sea Rovers in 1992. Now I've got an autographed collection of books.

     

    Mark Webster

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  2. Besides David Doubilet, the photographers who inspiired me when I was just getting into u/w photography:

     

    Douglas Faulkner link

    Jerry Greenberg link

    Rick Frehsee

    Carl Roessler link

     

    Havn't seen any of them mentioned but they're all great.

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  3. I have a background in motorsport, and through the years my favourite photographers have come from that

     

    Reinhard Klein (Rallying) weblink

    The site is his agency which isn't just his photos but they are all great. And there are some awesome shots from the guys I know who do F1 photography at www.crash.net and www.sutton-images.com

     

    anyway the reason i like Reinhard is his different approach .. he looks at the event with different eyes to the rest of the guys .. he likes to stand back .. and he muct know every event better than the drivers. He gets unique perspectives.

    example: (from pitstop.net)

    15180c.jpg

    Edited by digitallywet
  4. One thing i forgot to mention and some of you may find interest in it is http://www.naturephotographers.net i find myself going over some of the most incredible landscape images there.

     

    A lot of the shots are just from people like us but some of the Medium format landscapes are incredible.

  5. So many great UW photographers mentioned! What a great list and great post idea Alex!!

     

    One of my favorite topside photographers that made me want to get involved with photography when I was younger was Tina Moddotti. And also since there haven't been any other latinamericans mentioned, how about Manuel Alvarez Bravo.

     

    Topsiders and consummate, I know, but still a big influence on my own photographic journey.

     

    David.

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  6. Thanks Alex,

     

    I may also submit that I was on the jury in Antibes when Mr. Mustard himself managed to gather a large chunk of the still photography prizes. Thank God all 3 juges (an Italian, a Frenchman and a "québécois") didn't have a clue about the name of the autors... as it must be in any well run competition... otherwise we may have had some hesitation to give so much to the same person.

     

    Moreover, Alex's winning images were so different from one another that we could not make any connection.

     

    If I may quote Mr Brooks when he chaired the jury at Antibes: The most important part of an image is the message, the impression it leaves on us.

     

    What I find most intersting also is to see how a photographer's work evolves over time. I have gathered all of Mr. Doubilet's work for NGM. It is a learning experience to look at the changes in his work over time. I don't mean to say that he is THE overall best u/w photographer. However, looking at the change in the way he uses light convinces me that it takes time to master and integrate the idiosynchrasies and complexity of u/w photography; as I have experienced it myself looking at my images.

     

    Some master it faster because of talent, time spent u/w, willingness to advance faster. Others might take longer. I think that as long as the individual keeps learning and makes progress, fun it still there.

     

    Newbert's contribution was also peculiar. I consider that there was a pre-Newbert period in u/w photography and a post-Newbert era. Lighting style took a bold step after his work came on the market.

     

    A forum like Wetpixels is great for this reason, it helps us learn from each other and, in this respect, integrate this knowledge as a part of our personal style.

     

    One land photographer that has impressed me a lot is Steve McCurry, author of the perennial Afghan Girl image. This single image has been "overexposed" in the sense that NG has used it so much. However, it remains a very powerful picture.

     

    And since Alex asked who is/are your favourite photographers, I must add Jim and Cathy Church. Their work has helped tons of u/w photogaphers learn the basics, just like Stephen Frink more recently.

     

    I am drifting a bit here....

     

    Back to the other computer now!

     

    Michel

     

    PS: No Alex did not ask for my praise.

     

    PS2: Alex, which image is yours on the fronts featured on DD website?

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  7. PS2: Alex, which image is yours on the fronts featured on DD website?

     

    Mine is the ariel view of the clownfish on Dive Magazine. Plus thanks for the kind words about my pix at Antibes, Michel. I am actually planning to enter seriously again this year for the first time since then - can't let M. Ballesta have it all his own way!

     

    I am really happy that this thread has so many contributions. It is a good one because whether you are new to photography or knew the stars before they were famous, everyone has an opinion and something to contribute.

     

    I have used one of the moderator tools here on wetpixel to add links to a few of the posts in this thread. I hope people don't mind, but it makes it easier to see the photographers' images

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  8. great thread, this one.

     

    It was Doubilet and Newbert that had the most influence on me in the early days.

     

    But one of the most memorable experiences was the time I spent diving with Leni Riefenstahl

     

    Controversial and both revered and reviled for her past, nobody can deny that this was a woman of exceptional talent.

     

    I dived with her in the Maldives in '95 - she was 93 years old and needed little assistance. Her mind was still razor sharp and the stories she recounted to me of her meetings with some of the most evil men in history still stay in my mind - this was a woman who hadn't just seen and photographed history - she was part of it.

     

    Steve

    Edited by Steve Jones
  9. Crikey!

     

    Go to bed for a couple of hours and look what happens - you miss a thread with nearly 30 replies! Excellent idea BTW.

     

    There have been so many of my favourite inspirational topside and UW photographers mentioned already. I thought that I had one topside guy left to mention, but Michel has beaten me to the punch and nominated Steve McCurry who I find to be capable of some of the most powerful and beautiful portraits. Everyone knows his ubiquitous Afghan Girl, but a quick peak at his website demonstrates that she clearly wasn't just a "one off."

     

    In terms of UW photographers, one of my favourites has yet to get a guernsey - Gary Bell. He seems to mainly work downunder, but has some superb topside and UW work that some other folks might enjoy. I wrote to him earlier in the year (looking for books featuring his work) and he mentioned that he is planning a dedicated coffee table book for some time later this year.

     

    Also wanted to mention another NG photographer - Tim Laman - whose recent NG article on fish sight, I really enjoyed. He also does some spectacular topside work in rainforests.

     

    Better hit reply on this before someone beats me to the punch!! :P

    Edited by anthp
  10. When I think of the photographers that admire most I would have to start with David Doubilet. His work still amazes me, I never get tired of seeing it. I believe we are all still working in his wake. I wonder what magnificient images he must have in his library that he or National Geo have never published.

     

    The other photographers that inspire me are Frans Lanting and Clyde Butcher. Frans Lantings portrait work is exceptional, truly captures the character and emotion of the animal. His landscapes and the way he paints colors with light is truly inspired.

     

    Clyde Butcher primarily shoot landscapes of the Florida Everglades with large format equipment. Often referred to as the Ansel Adams of the Everglades his work is the best documentary of a vanishing eco-system. Clyde Butcher has the ability to look at a scene, sometimes of absolute chaos, completely unattractive and create a spectacular image.

     

    I agree that some of the photographers on Wetpixel are truly world class (you know who you are B) ) and the opportunity to not only view their work but interact with them is unique and priceless.

  11. I agree that some of the photographers on Wetpixel are truly world class (you know who you are  B) ) and the opportunity to not only view their work but interact with them is unique and priceless.

    Totally agree!! It is one of the aspects of wetpixel that has contributed to my chronic addiction. Such a great resource. B) :P

  12. So Sir Alex plans to enter Antibes this year... good news indeed and more wetpixelites should do it as well.

     

    Speaking about favourites, in the hexagone, Lionel Pozzoli and Fred DiMeglio have done some very nice work.

     

    In Italy, I am thinking about Claudio Bertassini.

     

    We don,t see too many German names and I know there are some very good shooters out there too.

     

    I think we ought to add David Pilosof for his book Samantha.

    It sold pretty well and it was a different approach to u/w photography. Wouldn't be very popular in the Bible belt though.

     

    Michel

     

    PS: Alex, attending Antibes in person this year?

  13. Here is a book I enjoy some of you might be interested in:

     

    The Worlds Top Photographers

    and the stories behind their greatest images

    Wildlife

    by Terry Hope

     

    Each photographer gets a four page spread to show his/her favorite images and, best of all, discuss them.

    The only underwater photographers included are David Doubilet, Fred Bavendam, Norbert Wu and Flip Nicklin. Land nature photographers include Art Wolfe, Tom Mangelsen, Kennan Ward, Frans Lanting and many others.

     

    -Brad

    Edited by BradDB
  14. My favorites have mostly been mentioned: Chris Newbert, Tony Wu, Takako Uno, Norbert Wu. Most inspiration to me has been Chris, but wonderful and inspirational in her own right is Chris' wife, Birgitte (Deda) Wilms. I have also found influential Scott Tuason and Espen Rekdal. For topside and landscape, aside from the well known names, I have found inspiration from a local Oregonian, Chris Carvalho.

  15. There are so many greats, so many that inspire.

     

    That said, the first time I saw David Doubilet's "Water Light Time" I was dumbstruck. It still holds a spot on the living room coffee table!

  16. Well, here's two more:

    For land: Freeman Patterson www.freemanpatterson.com

    For Water: Roger Steene

    Roger's mastery of macro and finding rare critters got me hooked. His book Coral Reefs is one I look at over and over and still find inspiration within.

     

    Marli

  17. Good stuff here gang! I have to say that I am inspired and taught by so many photographers, including folks right here at Wetpixel. By far my favorite and most inspirational has to be Richard Avedon. I had a chance to view his "Portrait" exhibit at the Metropolitan Musuem of Art in New York. These bigger than life black and whites were amazing. The photography world said good bye to one of it's best last October. Here is a link, hope it's o.k. to post it here.

     

    http://www.americanphotomag.com/article.as...0&page_number=2

     

    Thinking I'll load the Nikonos with some T-Max and head to Sting Ray City!!

     

    Thanks for the great posts on this one!

     

    Aurabest,

    john

  18. I have to give Douglas David Seifert my vote for having undiminished style ! ( he is the best dressed u/w photgrapher I have ever seen ) Doug has been there since day one - helping, promoting, but above all shooting fantastic images. www.douglasseifert.com

     

    Jim Watt for his unbridled enthusiasm for the medium and his willingness to share !

     

    And finaly Berkley White not for any other reason than the continual encouragement he provides and the inspiration that is given so freely.........

     

    thanks

    Edited by pmooney
Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.