Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Nudibranch IDs

Started by Rocha ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Nudibranch IDs

13 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    Here are a few nudis from Tulamben, Bali. I know nothing about them, and I don't have any Indo-Pacific invert guide, I'd appreciate IDs!

     

    I am posting two now, but I have more to come.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Luiz

     

    Nudi 1

    Nudi1.jpg

     

    Nudi 2

    Nudi2.jpg

  2. Number 1 is a member of the Chromodoris family called Risbecia tryoni

     

    #2 No idea, looks like some sort of mix between a Phyllidia and a Dendrodoris

     

     

    Larry Smith is here at the moment so i'll ask him to have a look

     

    Mike

  3. The second one is Mexichromis multituberculata.

  4. How about this one?

     

    Nudi4.jpg

  5. Looks like Chromodoris collingwoodi to me.

     

    I think i know what you need as a Christmans present.....

  6. Yep, I will buy an invert ID book, I have to think outside the box, been focused on fish for too long. :)

     

    Luiz

  7. Mike, Leslie, can you recommend a good book to ID Indo-Pacific nudis and other inverts? I have a good coral book, but I am lost with the other inverts.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Luiz

  8. Luis -- The two most comprehensive sources are Coral Reef Animals of the Indo-Pacific by Terry Gosliner, Dave Behrens & Gary Williams (1996) (they're working on a second edition) and Tropical Pacific Invertebrates by Pat Colin & Charles Arneson (1995). There are also number of japanese guide books with excellent photos that I particularly like. For nudibranchs again I like the japanese books combined with Neville Coleman's 1001 Nudibranchs. All of these are available at Sea Challengers Books, a company which has absorbed much of my money over the years. (Dave B - I should get a discount for recommending you so often!) Check out www.seachallengers.com for their on-line catalogue. Have fun!

  9. I would second the Colin and Arneson for Inverts, Pat lives in my stomping grounds (Palau) and is a good guy.

     

    For nudis i use the Helmet Debelius Indo Pacific Nudibranch book, but am sure Colemans is good as well 1001 Nudis? thats a lot!

     

    Mike

  10. Thanks for the suggestions guys...

     

    I would second the Colin and Arneson for Inverts, Pat lives in my stomping grounds (Palau) and is a good guy.

     

    Mike, this is a small world indeed. I just met Pat Colin last month during the Indo-Pacific fish conference in Taiwan, we talked a lot about a paper on zoogeography of Caribbean fishes that he is writing, he is a great guy! I wasn't aware of his work with invertebrates, I will drop him a line and ask him to sign my book after I buy it :) :)

     

    I will be visiting him in Palau next year to work on a project of evolution of reef fishes. We will also be doing some of those deep (100+ meters) rebreather dives. I will go with a team from the University of Hawaii to spend a month. John Earle and Richard Pyle are in the team, they are good friends of mine, do you know any of them?

     

    Luiz

  11. Hey Luiz,

     

    Richard Pyle i don't know but i got to spend 2 weeks with John Earle when i worked on the Tahiti Aggressor. For a guy who is not formally trained does he ever know his fish!!!

     

    Quite amazing listening to some of his stories about John/Jack Randall.

    Speaking of fish people i will have Max Gibbs out here in a couple of weeks...do you know him?

    Mike

  12. Hi Mike,

     

    I met Jack Randall a long time ago, and recently talked to him at the Taiwan meeting too. Unfortunately he is not diving anymore because of his age, but he still is a publishing machine. He gave me a copy of his recently published book on Fishes of the South Pacific, it is an awesome book, very complete and accurate, you should get one. The only bad thing is that it weighs a mere 7 pounds.

     

    I also have a nice story about Jack. A few years ago I went diving with him in La Paz, Baja California. When we got to the dive shop, the instructor asked for our certification cards, as usual. I gave him my PADI card, and Jack gave him his YMCA (or something like that) dive card, issued in the 60's, the card was so old that you could barely read it. The guy didn't want to let him dive! Jack got mad and wanted to leave, but I finally convinced the instructor that Jack was an experienced diver after showing him 4 of Jack's fish books in his own shelf. At that same occasion, when filling the paper work, Jack told me that he had about 11,000 dives. He is simply amazing, did you know that he described more than 600 species of reef fish?

     

    About Max Gibbs, I know his name, but never met him.

     

    Luiz

  13. 600 species! I knew it was a lot but didn't realize so high, i wonder what the next person who is still alive has, a mere fraction i assume. Pretty amazing for this day and age. 7 pound book! Wonder about the shipping on that one to Yap...

     

    Good story about Jack, bet the guy (instructor) felt like an as*.

     

     

    I don't know know Max either but evidently he is a good friend of Jack's so should be an interesting character.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.