Ok, its been over a year since I've used my camera, ya I know thats not good. But I was wondering the basic settings, I've kind of forgotten. Thanks for all the help.
- 8Posts
- 8Replies
Read-only discussion
Canon A70
-
-
Let me know your system configuration and I'd be glad to help out. I'm assuming the Canon WP-DC700 waterproof case, but do you have an external strobe? If so, which one?
-
Yes thats what I have. I've yet to get a strobe, not really sure if it was worth buying because you needed to buy the extra part from a german company, or if I should just wait on getting a better camera before I invest in a strobe. If you have more information on those that would you like to share, that'd be awesome, but as of right now, all my camera is stock in the Canon case. Thanks. What I've done before: http://www.stjohnseyc.com/extra/picture_an...8-04)/1-20.html
Thanks again
-
First I'd recommend adding an external strobe kit they are available from Epoque, Inon & Sea & Sea. It will dramatically improve your underwater photos.
For your camera Canon has some useful information on their website at:
http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/uwphoto/index-e.html
Specific Settings for your Canon A70:
Press the FUNC Button and set:
White Balance to Auto (AWB)
ISO to 100
Resolution to L (Largest)
Press the MENU button and set:
Red Eye OFF
AF Assist Beam OFF
Digital Zoom OFF
Review (time) 10 Seconds
Save Settings
Set the Exposure Mode Dial to A (Aperture on Shooting Mode Dial)
Set the Aperture to f/8.0 (Press Set & then Left / Right button)
Set the Flash to Always Fire (Broken Arrow Only Flash / Up Button)
Shooting Procedure:
Press Shutter Button down slowly until the Indicator Lights next to the Viewfinder are Lit.
Camera is now in Focus and Flash is Ready to fire.
When the shot is composed as you like press down fully on the Shutter Button.
NOTE: Use Macro Mode if you can't focus on something that's very close.
Remember to position your strobe to light the subject fully and never aim the strobe parallel with the lens.
HTH
-
I don't have enough time to get a strobe before my next trip, but should I use the same settings? Thanks for your help.
-
These settings are for use without the external strobe. When you get your external strobe I can post the settings required. No need to confuse matters.
-
These settings are for use without the external strobe. When you get your external strobe I can post the settings required. No need to confuse matters.
Hi, am new here. Would be great if you can share the settings for use with external strobe. Received an advice to use f5.6 / ISO 50 / 1/600. Pics turned out well, but is it neccesary to set such high speed?
Used to toggle with AUTO or PORTRAIT mode + MACRO mode. But MANUAL mode seems to work pretty well with my external YS90 AUTO now....
My MACRO settings are normally as follows:-
- Manual mode
- Center weighted average metering (sometimes spot-depends on object)
- ISO 50
- white balance : cloudy
- AF assist beam off
- vivid colour
Please feel free to comment, or advise,
Thanks!
-
Ok, just got back from my trip, thanks again for the information. I didn't really stick to it the whole time, just because I was afraid of marine snow. I thought that when you have the flash on thats when you see it the most. Is there just no way around it. You're going to have snow, and color, or no snow and no color. It seems like most of my picturs have snow in the ones were the shot was under a rock, like somsething was hiding like a crab. I also found out first hand the importance of having a bucket of water that is constantly cooling your camera off. For my first dive my camera heated up and I started to dive and the case was condensing. So there were a lot of blury pictures. But on the second dive I tried to keep it as cold as I could so it woulnd't happen again. I guess next time I will be with a better dive operation that meets my needs but just wanted to warn others that may not know. But I'm still lost on the settings. How can I get color and no snow, let me guess a strobe?