Last year I was invited to Savannah, GA to help judge the photo contest entries for Scuba Diving Magazine's first annual reader's photo contest. I was very impressed by the quality and diversity of the entries.
I recognise a couple of Wetpixelites in the Honorable mentions (Ralph Oberlander and Todd Mintz), congratulations to them
Anyone else in there whose name I don't recognise, congratulations to you too! Some lovely work in there. Also interesting to see a European freshwater shooter doing so well.
Nice stuff. Congrats to all. Alex
Congrats to our representatives.
Thas my buddy (and protege...Mike what does an fstop do??!) Doug Sloss who is the grand prize winner.
I think he will be joining the forum soon (henche the parnthesis above)
Congrats to all!
Very nice work in all categories. Thanks for posting Steve and congrats again to the winners.
My only criticism of such competitions (and this is not aimed at this one in particular) is that you do see the same pictures doing the rounds again and again.
This one is not too bad. I have only seen 3-4 of these shots before in other competitions. But I think that competitions should either say all pictures welcome - we want the best. Or no pictures that have won a award or commendation or have been published can be entered.
I realise the general public would never notice these things. But as a keen photographer I sure do!
Alex
Glenn V. Ostle
Charlotte, N.C.
This guy got hosed. His honerable mention is rock solid in lighting, composition, differentiation, interest and content. His negative space is very eye catching and the secondary exposure on the jelly in superb. That's why I sometimes shake my head in disbelief at what judges select as winning pictures. But that is the challenge of UW phot contests ....to appeal to the psyche of the judge.....why do you think clown fish always place?
Nice work by all and I agree with Alex that one pic makes 2-3 rounds over a couple of years...get new winners
Joe
My only criticism of such competitions (and this is not aimed at this one in particular) is that you do see the same pictures doing the rounds again and again.
This one is not too bad. I have only seen 3-4 of these shots before in other competitions. But I think that competitions should either say all pictures welcome - we want the best. Or no pictures that have won a award or commendation or have been published can be entered.
I realise the general public would never notice these things. But as a keen photographer I sure do!
Alex, I do agree but you also have to remember that at the time of entry the individual photo may not have actually placed yet.
Hi Todd,
My comments were not specifically aimed at you! Or indeed this competition! More at some of European photographers who continually enter the same shots in competitions around the world. It is fine if their is an overlap in time - but sometimes you see the same images knocking around for several years!
I think it is fine to enter the same pix in competitions at different tiers of standard. You could enter a picture in a regional or club competition. Then enter in big UW competition - e.g. BTS, Epic and big Magazine competitions like this one. And then finally enter a shot in the top level International comps like Antibes or Wildlife Photog of the Year.
Alex
Hi Todd,
My comments were not specifically aimed at you! Or indeed this competition! More at some of European photographers who continually enter the same shots in competitions around the world. It is fine if their is an overlap in time - but sometimes you see the same images knocking around for several years!
I think it is fine to enter the same pix in competitions at different tiers of standard. You could enter a picture in a regional or club competition. Then enter in big UW competition - e.g. BTS, Epic and big Magazine competitions like this one. And then finally enter a shot in the top level International comps like Antibes or Wildlife Photog of the Year.