I'm interested to see digital UW photography getting pride of place as the "splash" graphic (pun intended) on B&H's new opening page on their website.
Anyone recognise the shot? Or the photographer?
The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic
Started by Craig Ruaux ·
Read-only discussion
I'm interested to see digital UW photography getting pride of place as the "splash" graphic (pun intended) on B&H's new opening page on their website.
Anyone recognise the shot? Or the photographer?
It's incredible to me that they would devote to much home page real estate to an area that is probably a nearly-insignificant part of their product lineup!
They are still mailing out 4 lb product catalogs about every quarter.
Anyone recognise the shot? Or the photographer?
My shot, although they have cloned most of the right hand side of the image. Original was a vertical, shot with Ocean Frontiers on Grand Cayman's North Wall.
So you were really using a Nikon 7900 and a Ike DS50 Stephen ![]()
So you were really using a Nikon 7900 and a Ike DS50 Stephen![]()
My thoughts exactly...
So you were really using a Nikon 7900 and a Ike DS50 Stephen![]()
I missed that. Was there a caption somewhere that said that? I just looked at the photo and didn't pay much attention beyond that.
No, I was using a Nikon D1X, 12-24mm, in a Seacam housing with an Ikelite 200 at the time. The sale came from an outside agent so I was not personally involved with details, but as it was a 50mb 8-bit file, there was no reason for anyone to assume it came from a Coolpix 7900.


It kinda does suggest that the photo was taken with the Nikon Coolpix 7900 in an Ikelite housing ... nice bit of false advertising. Not that you couldn't take that photo with a coolpix 7900 i'd imagine you could get a similar result minus the 50mb image size.
Maybe it's not so false advertising if they are trying to say the guy in the photo is using a coolpix 7900 .. still doesn't look like an ikelite housing looks like a PT housing for an olympus ... still funny.
Why digital graphic designers insist in to putting fishes from the Pacific inside caribbean pics.
In this picture you can see several blue powder tangs ( acanthurus leucosternon ) in an obviously caribbean reef.
As travelling and consumer diver , I avoid the places that use false information to promote themselves. Not in this particular case but dive resorts an operators.
El buzo
.. our Tangs come in a wide variety of blue colours including a light powder blue .. i had always thought they were just juvenile as they are typically smaller.
one on the right looks more like a queen angelfish to me ... but who knows
As travelling and consumer diver , I avoid the places that use false information to promote themselves. Not in this particular case but dive resorts an operators.
It's so commonplace in all aspects of travel ads....I've seen so many brochures for Ft Lauderdale or Miami where the shots look like they were taken from micronesia or the caribbean....pool water clarity. I lived in that area for about 17 yrs and while there are places that are clear...I've never seen the ocean from the beach THAT clear. Another funny one...living in NYC and visiting any of the ski/snowboardshops....look at the brochures for many of the ski slopes...you can tell that a lot of the stock was taken out west as we rarely if ever have thick powder like that....i guess the hard-packed snow/ice isn't as pretty...heh. ![]()
I would never trust a brochure by itself anyway (it amazes me that anyone would)...there are enough trip reports and pictures of the various dive locales online...a little research will get you the info you need. That being said, I wonder if anyone here or over at scubadiving.com has ever run into that whole "Come to hotel paradise with 5-star amenities" then gotten there and found a nipa hut with no toilet and a broken fan.
-Pete
"Come to hotel paradise with 5-star amenities" then gotten there and found a nipa hut with no toilet and a broken fan.
-Pete
Well, the toilet wasn't broken, but the shower was over the toilet (literally) and the shower water recycled (slowly) from a large trash bin via a little pump. The generator ran from 4-9pm, which was when everyone in the shared dorm room (there was only myself, my first wife, and a young couple from Japan, but the room was big enough to hold about 25) took care of cleanliness. By using a saucepan to scoop water over each other from the trash bin!
It was a lot of fun, but it was not like the brochure suggested.
I believe that they have upgraded a bit since those days. ![]()
Sounds positively luxuriant Craig!
Don't know what you were worried about
Looks like a nice place though.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.