Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Sardine Run 2005 pics topside+

Started by Drew ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Sardine Run 2005 pics topside+

15 posts
  1. 1DMKII10510.jpg

    a lot of bottlenose breakin the waves!

     

    _A8O5610.jpg

    Aerial acrobatics of diving gannets (ok they are also boobbies but flying/diving boobbies has an almost scintillating conotation to it)

     

    MA8O2977.jpg

    The common dolphin superpod charge in b/w. Note for every splash there are about 30 dolphins under the water...and yes the splashing goes way far... 2 miles stretch of dolphin at times.

     

    1DMKII11325.jpg

    This pic is actually digitally layered to show the progress of the diving gannets. The diving birds are a series of 9 photos taken at 8.5fps.

     

    Hope you all liked the series but that's all for now.

  2. Rememberhow i said i was your number one fan?!? Now i hate you!!!

    That first shot of the surfing dolphins has got to be one of the most original photos of dolphins i have ever seen. Simply said "WOW" that is fantastic!!!!

    The layering of mist and clear etc is absolutely superb! Awesome

     

    Will the next series show an under/over of same scene? :D THats the only thing you can do to top it.

     

    NOw then Drew...get off this dang board and go write a full report!!! (with more photos of course)

     

     

    :D Mike

  3. No over/under... but next year I will try to bring a VR 360° lens to show the immensity of a superpod. There's no other lens I can think of that will do it.

    And I wrote the report on the run...last year! :D

  4. speechless...wowed...truly amazing shots drew, and like mike said that 1st one of the dolphins is just flabbergasting.

    encore bravo!!!

  5. Rememberhow i said i was your number one fan?!?  Now i hate you!!! 

    That first shot of the surfing dolphins has got to be one of the most original photos of dolphins i have ever seen.  Simply said  "WOW"  that is fantastic!!!!

    The layering of mist and clear etc is absolutely superb!  Awesome

     

    Will the next series show an under/over of same scene? :D  THats the only thing you can do to top it.

     

    NOw then Drew...get off this dang board and go write a full report!!!  (with more photos of course)

    :D  Mike

     

    The sardine run report for 2004 can be read here (Sardine Run report) if anyone is interested.

    Edited by scubadru
  6. You really did save your best til last didn't you Drew.

     

    I want a GIANT poster of that dolphins spindrift shot. - AMAZING.

     

    Thanks for sharing and bring on the 360 - way cool! :D

  7. You really did save your best til last didn't you Drew.

     

    I want a GIANT poster of that dolphins spindrift shot. - AMAZING.

     

    Thanks for sharing and bring on the 360 - way cool! :D

    Actually more than a few people have asked so I'm trying to work out a plan.

  8. Here's more pics

    1DMKII10662.jpg

    Bottlenose jumping waves

     

    1DMKII10517.jpg

     

    1DMKII10557.jpg

    1DMKII14191.jpg

    Morus capensis (booby or cape gannet) contorts before a dive

  9. I'm still curious as to which animal planet host turned out ot be a wuss. :D Love the dolphin surf shots....nature at its finest!

  10. I'm still curious as to which animal planet host turned out ot be a wuss. :) Love the dolphin surf shots....nature at its finest!

    Well you think I'm going to open myself to a libel suit? This website is US based. :D

    Yes that day with the dolphins was very special. First time I'd seen so many bottle nose through the surf.

  11. Libel Shmybel. :D I've a sneaking suspicion who it might be. After googling the supposed guy's name and sardines...I found the proposed dated for the episode to air on Animal Planet: Premieres Wednesday, August 10, at 9 p.m. EST. If anything, it'll allow you to relive some of the experience...hehehe :)

  12. I wish we got Animal Planet downunder - we might finally get to see a re-run in 2008 or so...

  13. Libel Shmybel. :) I've a sneaking suspicion who it might be. After googling the supposed guy's name and sardines...I found the proposed dated for the episode to air on Animal Planet: Premieres Wednesday, August 10, at 9 p.m. EST. If anything, it'll allow you to relive some of the experience...hehehe :(

    We already had our laughs over the incidents this year again.... doesn't say much the university he came from if he can't tell dolphins from whales. But I suppose he does bring the masses to like natural history, which makes up for a lot.

    I will say his production crew and he are the most unfriendly bunch TV crew I've met. And his safety diver, man he had stories! but shhhhh... and of course, that is not the guy I'm referring to. :D

     

    i'm at a loss for explicatives on that first image, 1DMKII10510.jpg

    and the last 1DMKII14191.jpg is just too funny, especially in

    the context of its speed - or perhaps it is initiating the dive (???)

    Yup that's the beginning of a dive, as they zoom in on the baitball and go into dive mode.

  14. OMG, those surfshots are unbelievebly great. Well done

    Edited by DuikKees
  15. _7462_8.jpg

    At one stage we had over 20000 cape gannets around us.

     

    1DMKII11420.jpg

    They repeat the diving until they feed so much that they cannot fly anymore.

     

    1DMKII11923.jpg

    Notice even the gannets look up to see if another one is diving on it.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.