Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Lens Port Water Repellent??

Started by alienx ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Lens Port Water Repellent??

5 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I learned a lot about my new housing and camera from the other recent posts in here. The only thing I am trying to figure out is if it is safe to put something like Rain-X on the lens port. I am using my camera in Costa Rica in a couple weeks for Surfing pictures. So the run-off on the housing will be a problem.

     

    The Canon site cautions against getting anything liek that on the housing itself. I guess saliva is an alternative, but probably will not work as well.

     

    PS. Great site. I am now terrified to take my gear in the water though!!

    Edited by alienx
  2. What is your lens port made of? If it's glass, then use rain-x and don't worry about it.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Take a look on this previous thread

  4. I guess my housing is acrylic (it's the Canon one). But I don't know what the lens port is made of.

     

    There were some good (albeit strange) suggestions in the other thread. But they seem like they would be safe to try on the housing. Back to the bathtub I guess!!

     

    Thanks.

  5. Check several surfing photography related books or websites, they (the photographers) deal with the issue all the time. Some of the best results Ive seen have come from a guy who wont tell you exacty how he does it. His only hint "wax and a special application technique"

     

    this is just a musing, but maybe buff the wax out like you would a bowling ball

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.