Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Unsharp Mask settings?

Started by yahsemtough ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Unsharp Mask settings?

10 posts
  1. I have been on many trips and seen so many different unsharp mask settings used that I thought maybe a discussion on what settings people use and why might help.

     

    Amount

    Radius

    Threshold

     

    What settings for the three areas do you use?

    Do you sharpen the whole photo in general or the main subject only?

     

    Todd

  2. My default settings when use USM:

    Amount: 60-100

    Radius: 0.6-1.0

    Threshold: 1-2

  3. I send everything through an action that that applys USM two times. First @ 120, .7, 0 and then 25, 50, 0.

     

    ^ is the only post processing that 90% of my images ever see.

    Edited by acroporas
  4. % between 100- 150

    Radius .9

    Threshold 0

     

    I will change the radius at times up to about 2 max, i never touch the Threshold. Also i do the entire image at once, i am not enough of a PS guy to be able to isolate a certain part of the image.

     

    M

    Edited by MikeVeitch
  5. There is no correct answer to this question, because the values vary widely for how you are going to look at the photo, and what resolution you're talking about.

     

    Is it a screen res image? Are you going to be printing it out? If so, at what dpi? And what is the viewing distance going to be?

     

    USM is great because you can see the results right after you do it. The "right" settings are what looks best, to you.

  6. There is no correct answer to this question, because the values vary widely for how you are going to look at the photo, and what resolution you're talking about.

     

    Is it a screen res image?  Are you going to be printing it out? If so, at what dpi?  And what is the viewing distance going to be?

     

    USM is great because you can see the results right after you do it. The "right" settings are what looks best, to you.

     

    That is what spurred my question originally. :D

     

    In general I edit/USM for print. By that I mean hang on the wall framed. Say 300dpi. Now I know I am opening up another whole thread on printing and dpi vs pixel. (Probably also worth going over)

     

    I will usually use those same settings for web because I am lazy and I figure it will never look the same on other screens as there are so many variables anyway.

     

    I use the 100-150, .9 and 0.

     

    Based on that should I adjust my settings further?

     

    This may be why some shots I see on the web look really over cooked in terms of sharpening. And maybe why mine do not look sharp enough? :)

     

    Let's assume about a 900pixel long side posting?

    Edited by yahsemtough
  7. Hey Todd, seeing as we use the same settings...

     

    What i posted is what i use for full rez stuff, 300 dpi that i use the Fred Miranda D70 interpolating software to bring up to 18x12, i then USM and save.

     

    These are the files i send to the agency so can be used for whatever they use em for.

    When i downsize i usually don't USM, unless i am making prints and that is a shot by shot process where i just mess with the radius until it looks good.

     

    Web stuff? i just batch resize and don't bother with USM

     

    Mike

  8. Hey Todd, seeing as we use the same settings...

     

    What i posted is what i use for full rez stuff, 300 dpi that i use the Fred Miranda D70 interpolating software to bring up to 18x12, i then USM and save.

     

    These are the files i send to the agency so can be used for whatever they use em for.

    When i downsize i usually don't USM, unless i am making prints and that is a shot by shot process where i just mess with the radius until it looks good.

     

    Web stuff?  i just batch resize and don't bother with USM

     

    Mike

     

    Sounds like we are on the same page all around. Except I use Qimage for interpolating. But, I had done the USM before (my bad).

     

    I just printed my first 20x30 off the Rebel so it was the first time I had interpolated. results were good but the scene also did not have a crisp main subject so I got lucky I guess.

  9. Yea, USM should always be the last thing you do in your work flow before you save.

    I tend to do any scatter removal first (less area to go over :D ) then make sure the colours look good, then do the interpolate, USM and save as.

     

    However, USM still won't save any images that aren't sharp, however, someone was telling me about some program that does, can't remember the name though.

     

    Mike

    ps note proper spelling of the word colour!!!!! Yap may be Americanized but i still can spell...

  10. Mike

    ps note proper spelling of the word colour!!!!!  Yap may be Americanized but i still can spell...

     

    Amen to that!

    Half my house is American and they too utilize the letter "U". :)

     

    Yeah after I had sent the print I realized my booboo as my normal workflow leaves it till last step. It was the adding of a new step and program that got me at a weak moment. :D

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.