Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

How necessary are strobes for shallow water?

Started by AL N. ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

How necessary are strobes for shallow water?

5 posts
  1. Hello Wetpixel members!

    After shooting all last summer with a Canon Powershot and Canon housing, and having decent results, I decided I should plunge into the realm of a "real" system. I purchased a Canon 20D, a 10-22 lense, an Ikelite housing, 2 ports, and a 2 gig compact flash card. Now, $4000 (and 1 arm) later and I am now wondering...do I really need to invest in a strobe system?

    I free dive and most of my photos are shot in 5 ft of water or less. I live in Key West and the visibility is generally pretty decent.

     

    Also, I would appreciate advice on any additional lenses that would complete my system. An experienced underwater photographer here in town once told my friend that he should shoot everything as wide as possible. Any thoughts?

     

    Thanks for any responses.

     

    Al

    Edited by AL N.
  2. Hi Al,

     

    If you don't wish to use a strobe, you may want to try some coloUr filters. On the other hand, I can't tell you enough how nice strobe light looks to help fill in shadows and bring out coloUrs. I'd try doing a search here for "filters"

     

    It sounds like you have a good lens if all you intend to do is freedive. Another inexpensive lens would be the 15mm Sigma, it's about as wide as your 10mm end, but it's a fisheye, focuses closer, and makes for some really neat effects. Another to look at is the 60mm Macro - great for closeup work of small stuff, but you'll really need a strobe to use it properly.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Hello Al

     

    I am to a freediver and I dont have a strobe. With some filters you get really great colors underwater.

     

    The best results are between 3-5 meters . You can begin with a CC40R or better with Alex new MAGIC FILTER

     

    Take a look att:

    Available light shots

     

    Magic Filter

     

    The follow Photos are mot exelent but you can see the power off a filter

    I have use a UR PRO SWCY filter

     

    3 meters

     

    Lionfish1.jpg

     

     

    7 meters

    divers.jpg

     

    lambis

  4. James...thanks for taking the time to respond...and for the advise.

     

    Lambis...I hope to soon have results such as yours. Thanks for the advice.

     

    Al

  5. I have certainly found strobes tricky to use in shallow water - and it is well worth checking out the URPro series of filters.

     

    As for additional lenses, a fisheye and a macro would be worth while.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.