Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Magic Filter

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 42Posts
  • 42Replies

Read-only discussion

Magic Filter

42 posts
  1. I have decided to go ahead and get a small production run of my Magic filter made - the spare filter that I don't need I intend to sell to any keen photographers who are interested. The filter is designed to fit in the rear filter holders of common ultrawide (weitwinkel) angle lenses (like fisheyes).

     

    At present nobody makes UW filters that fit in these rear filter holders, which is a pity because these ultrawides are the most suitable for ambient light photography and do not accept front mounted glass or resin filters. That is where the Magic filter comes in.

     

    Anyway, enough of the sales pitch. I want to get the filters pre-cut for the common underwater wide angle DSLR lenses. The lenses I am considering at the moment are:

    Nikon 10.5mm, 16mm, Sigma 15mm, 12-24mm, Canon 15mm.

     

    Are there any other DSLR lenses out there that people that commonly use that take rear mounted filters, which they would like to try the Magic Filter with?

     

    Either post your lens details below or email me.

     

    Thanks

     

    Alex

     

    p.s. As I said before if you are interested in this filter please email me and I will let you know when the filters are ready (probably a month or so).

     

    There are some sample images from the Magic Filter in the following discussion:

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8822&st=0

  2. Hi there doctor, I use a Nikkor 14mm & 10.5 mm wich are both the same size rear filter, glad to hear your going ahead with the project. put me down for one or two, any idea of the price at that stage ?

     

    My heartfelt condolence to your people, nobody deserves that crap.

     

    Regards

  3. I'm in...10.5mm Nikon

  4. Hi Alex,

     

    I will order a Magic Filter for a Nikon 10.5mm when available.

     

    Regards, Jett

  5. Thanks for the replies and Private Messages. A common question is cost. While we have decided on our prices I don't want to post them in case we change them.

     

    But our motivation is to sell off the spare filter we get made. This is not a money spinning project - really just enthusiasts helping out fellow enthusiasts. The motivation for me is knowing that there are people out there taking pictures with my filter. :D The plan is just to make filters for the ultra-wide (weitwinkel) lenses that you cannot get UW filters for at the moment.

     

    So the cost. To give a how long is a piece of string answer. A filter will cost less than several of the rounds of drinks I bought last night. I want it to be a no brainer purchase. Once people try it they will soon get addicted to the Magic!

     

    Alex

     

    p.s. I'd just like to also say - thanks for all the emails and PMs. I am sorry that I am not able to reply to them all - but once the details of the filter are finalised (price etc) those who have emailed me will be the first to find out about it

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  6. Hey Alex

     

    Sounds great. Count me in please.

     

    TimG

  7. Alex,

     

    Are you planning to make one that will work with either the Canon 16-35mm or 17-40mm? For us "full framers," that's super-wide, :D and I'd love to have a magic filter for both of those lenses! Also, for the 20D, can the filter be used with the 10-22mm lens?

    Edited by bmyates
  8. Hey Alex,

     

    Are you bringing a big stock of filters to BSoUP on Wednesday ? Do you need help to set-up a stand, right next to the bar ? :D

     

    BTW, Can I place an order for a 10.5 and a 16 ?

     

    JP

  9. Hey JP,

     

    I am afraid that we won't be ready by Wednesday (although i might do a little shameless publicity during my talk)! But glad to hear that you want to get a couple, since you are one of the few people who have had the chance to try the filter. You'll have to send me a couple of your pix so I can put them on the magic-filters website!

     

    Alex

  10. Alex I will post this here just in case others have the same question. First sign me up for one for my 10.5! Like others have asked when is a ETA on these? We go to Gaudalupe for Great Whites in Sept. Second based on your artical I just purchased a URPro SW-CY 77mm filter for my 12-24 assuming it will screw on the front. Am I wrong?

    Edited by NWDiver
  11. The UR Pro SW-CY will be excellent for the Great Whites. I suggest shooting in shutter speed priority (at say 1/125th) to be sure that you do not get subject blur on your images.

     

    The 77mm SW-CY will screw straight on the 12-24mm. If you shoot this lens with a dioptre it is possible to mount both the UR Pro filter and dioptre in the same filter thread - with the UR Pro behind the dioptre. (I am talking about the Nikon 12-24mm here - I've not got any experience with the other 12-24mm lenses).

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  12. Alexis :-)

     

    Just now I have order my Nikon 10.5mm

    Do you think that the Magic Filter will be out until the 18 August?

    The 10,5mm Magic filter fits only on the 10.5mm lens?

     

    Lambis

  13. Are you planning to make one that will work with either the Canon 16-35mm or 17-40mm? For us "full framers," that's super-wide,  :D  and I'd love to have a magic filter for both of those lenses!  Also, for the 20D, can the filter be used with the 10-22mm lens?

     

    My motivation with Magic-Filters was to make them for lenses that accept rear mounted gel filters. UR Pro already make excellent UW filters for lenses that take front mounted filters - unfortunately none of my favourite wides take front mounted filters. UR Pro's filters also mount on compact cameras.

     

    I guess Magic Filters is just a couple of enthusiasts wanting to help out other underwater photography addicts, by providing the only solution to this problem. I am sure if people want our filters for others lenses then I can get some cut - but it is not a main aim to supply filters for lenses that already have UW options.

     

    Magic Filters looks quite different from a UR Pro and work in a different way (e.g. the Magic Filter will not work on slide film). I'll expand on this when the filter is ready - and why I have chosen this new approach.

     

    Alex

     

    p.s. Lambis, I am not promising any dates. The manufacture is out of my control so I can't guarantee it.

  14. The 10,5mm Magic filter fits only on the 10.5mm lens?

     

    I think that the rear filter sizes tend to be pretty consistent. For example all the Sigma filter sizes are the same and I think the Nikon 10.5mm is the same as the 14mm. I have not done the measurements yet. The Nikon 16m is a bit of an odd one, though.

     

    But yes, I think that each of the Magic Filters will work on several lenses.

     

    Alex

  15. Hi Alex,

     

    Count me in for the Sigma 15mm FE, and if the filter can be cut, I'd like to experiment by somehow attaching the filter in front of my wife's Canon A80's objective lens with a soon to be added Inon 105 WA lens.

     

    Stu

  16. Thanks Alex

     

    BTW The Magic filter is for my the best inovation off the last years!!

    Really I mean it.

    For me and some others that love available light pfotografy is a dream.

     

    To have colors i a Wide Anlge photos meters away without to have to use strobes is a Revolution for me.

     

    And no one strobe is powerfull to light a WA Photo.

  17. As Stu already wrote this filter can be very affective for the P&S cameras also.

    If it can't work in salt water like the gel filters maybe it can be mount inside the housing between the lens to the 'flat dome' glass.

    I hope I in your list already, if not count me in for the 10.5.

  18. Arnon

     

    Soon there will be a bouch of guys diving around with Nikons a 10,5mm lens and the Magic filter

     

    I cant wait to see all the discussions :-)

  19. As Stu already wrote this filter can be very affective for the P&S cameras also.

    If it can't work in salt water like the gel filters maybe it can be mount inside the housing between the lens to the 'flat dome' glass.

     

    Not planning to cater for compacts initially, but could if demanded. Our gels filters are not gelatin so should be OK in seawater. I'd want to test that myself rather than trust the manufacturers!

     

    Alex

  20. Kudos for taking the time to put together this offering for the community.

     

    I have not shot with filters yet but may be ready to give it a spin. But, I'm a Canon guy :D

     

    edit-I see you say the Sigma 15mm fe for Canon.

    Edited by yahsemtough

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.