Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
X'S Drive Portable Storage
Started by anthp ·
- 12Posts
- 12Replies
Read-only discussion
X'S Drive Portable Storage
-
X'S Drive VP2260 might make a nice inexpensive storage option for travelling digital photographers. Looks like pretty aggressive pricing too.
-
I've been using X's Drive Pro for a few years. It has been very reliable but the transfer speeds are very slow. Takes nearly 10 min to copy a fast 512 card.
-
I love using mine. No need to fire up a computer just plug the card in and hit download. Never had an issue of the card not downloading either.
-
I've been using X's Drive Pro for a few years. It has been very reliable but the transfer speeds are very slow. Takes nearly 10 min to copy a fast 512 card.
Although not much faster, this one claims to do a 1GB in 8 mins...
-
G'day Anthp.
I tried to buy an Epson p-2000 when we met up in Melbourne recently, but noone seemed to have heard of them. I see that they're advertised here now for AU$899 (read that in the QANTAS magazine yesterday). The p-2000 seems to be the device of choice for this application at present - but I agree that the X drive brand you listed is a lot cheaper. Damn p-2000 doesn't recognise 1ds RAW files anyway. I think you should buy one of those vp2260 things and tell us how it works out (?are they available locally - not sure if that was one of the brands I looked at in Ted's or not).
-
Hi there Rob, I haven't really taken much notice of the P2000. I vaguely recall some stores having them, but can't remember the price. I can't really justify paying so much extra and still not having something with the screen size of a laptop (not to mention the CRW difficulties).
I've seen the other X-Drives listed locally at jaldigital for pretty reasonable prices, but they don't have the 2260 yet...
Howz that Zeiss glass going?
-
Another option is the FlashTrax that is cheaper then the Epson.
I sow a lot of this devices in E-Bay with relative good prices.
Its can handle RAW files.
-
the X-DRIVE VP6210 is pretty nice. It'll read lots of card formats without having to carry adapters. Plus you can put in any laptop drive that suits. Also does video out to a TV.
I liked it so much I brought one for my husband last christmas

Power in Numbers www.powerinnumbers.com.au in Melbourne sells them at really good prices. eg $250 AU for the unit with no hard drive, $370 with 40GB HDD.
cheers
Leander
-
Just received my X-Drive VP2160 80gb from Bits online in AU for $270AUD.
Works a treat, does everything I need. reads a stores the contents of the card for upload to the PC later.
Perfect storage at the right price.
BTW: Teds have the Epson P2000 for $900 AUD, but who needs a screen anyway.
-
BTW: Teds have the Epson P2000 for $900 AUD, but who needs a screen anyway.
I am B)
If this device is uses as the only storage device without a laptop then I want to see the pictures on it, not for editing or reviewing since the LCD there is not much bigger then on my camera but to be sure that the frame's files are there.
I don't want to come home after a great trip and discover that from some reason I lost my data, I had it once and it's was enough for the rest of my life.
-
I've been using an 80GB version of the X-Drive for the last few months. Very impressed with it. It has an internal verification mechanism which checks the files on the drive are the same as on the CF card and transfer a 1GB card in about 5 mins. Good battery life with the NP120 battery too.
-
I've been using an 80GB version of the X-Drive for the last few months. Very impressed with it. It has an internal verification mechanism which checks the files on the drive are the same as on the CF card and transfer a 1GB card in about 5 mins. Good battery life with the NP120 battery too.
Nice mechanism but it won't solved the problem that I had.
For some reason every time I downloaded a set of files from the CF it's downloaded them to the right position: a folder with the date as name, but its also wrote this session on almost all the already exciting folders from days before.
The mechanism you described won't help in this situation cause it checks only the last session transfer.
So, next time, I want to be able with my eyes that the frames are there and also that there is no damage for the frames before. with all the respect to software and hardware (I live from that
) I don't trust it.