Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Lembeh Photos

Started by Kelpfish ·

  • 34Posts
  • 34Replies

Read-only discussion

Lembeh Photos

34 posts
  1. Hi folks,

     

    I just returned from 17 days at KBR in Lembeh and wanted to share a few pictures. I have a lot to edit still but I have some that are coming along just fine. Photographically speaking, the black sand can make the photography challenging and in some cases easy to get black backgrounds. When you have a dark animal and are shooting it against the dark sand, it is very hard to get any contrast. However, when you have a nice nudibranch or yellow frogfish on ther black sand, you can get a nice contrast, in fact some of my raw images had to be toned down in contrast as opposed to bumping it up in PS. I have posted one of my pics of two mating nudibranchs on black sand at night. Almost no PS at all except for a couple of particles removed.

     

    The sand is hard on the gear and if you are going there o-ring maintenance is essential, often between dives depending on how much sand is stirred up. I had no water leaks other than a floded dive light, but had my fair share of housing and camera problems. Got through it though and only missed a couple of dives with my camera.

     

    The diving was a bit regimented. After the first day, I had to talk to the managers because the guides (my guide specifically) would not give me enough time to compose and shoot professional grade pictures. 1-3 shots and he moved you along. I was able to get another guide and reorganize my co-divers to get on a boat with more hard core photographers and a couple of authors. That helped tremendously and Steve Coverdale (manager) was very accommodating and helpful. Just have to ask and he will do what he can to make you happy.

     

    I spent my time hob-knobing with Ned Deloach of Fish I.D. fame. He is co-author with Paul Human on those fantastic fish I.D. books. What an excellent example of a human being, as he was gracious and helpful...aside from being one hell of a crack up. For those of you going there, bring a 12-15 inch stainless rod with a 1 inch loop in the end. It is good for holding on in current and prodding around debris. There is a lot of trash in the water and many of the unique animals live in and around that trash.

     

    Also, if you think you are an expert at spotting marine life like me, forget it. You MUST stay with the guides to get the good shots. They can see things that look like sand to you and me, but are animals. However, if you want a specific animal you must ask. About midway through the trip I was without certain pictures and began to ask about them and where the sites were that hosted them. Once the guides know what you want, they make special efforts to find them while diving. I got lucky to get a squat lobster and coleman shrimp. The coleman shrimp have all but dissappeared, but at the end of the trip a guide found a lone shrimp on a sea urchin. It stayed around for 2 days then bailed. I was also fortunate to whitness occurrences that have not yet been seen by the guides. Specifically, a mimic octopus shooting to the surface of the water. Also got to photograph what may be an undescribed species of yellow ambon scorpion fish. That was a last minute dive before I left the resort....someone came up hollaring that they found this yellow ambon and I was offered a chance to go photograph it, so I did.

     

    For mandrins, be ready for frustration. There are other resorts in Lembeh and now liveaboards, all of whome drop divers on the mandrin site to compete with you for the fish. Videographers are a pain in the ass because they need light to film the fish. Well, light scares them away, so it's a lose lose situation. It took me three times on the site to get some alone time with the fish. I got one decent shot, while the videographer with me agreed to concentrate on another area of the mandrin site. He was happy and so was I.

     

    Another highlight that is new to the area is blue ring octopus. We had about five encounters with them. They are very charismatic creatures doing mimics to evade you. Just don't think they are too damn cute and try to pet one. They can kill you with their powerful venom. Do not miss any night dives. We had so many excellent encounters that I am still in awe over the experience. The octopus are out at night and there are several kinds; mimic, wonderpus, blue ring, coconut, and even hairy octopus. One night dive we jumped in the water and met 10 feet below the boat. We never eft for the dive because we found an octopus that performed brilliantly for us. 5 photographers simply used very good photo etiquite and took turns photographing the octopus. During this we got to watch the coconut octopus pick up its coconut shell and walk away with it across the bottom. It was fantastic.

     

    Bring redundant battery packs and batteries. I found myself shooting so much that I only had three dives per charge on my strobes and camera battery, so I did a complete changeover every two dives. I shot about 200-300 pics a day, not counting all the test shots and deleted shots. For those of you new to photography, it is best to belly crawl slowly to your subjects. Descending down on them usually scares them away. A lot of the Lembeh animals turn their asses to you, especially if you move toward them too quickly. Be patient and ask for help. I found that certain animals require two people to photograph such as pygmie sea horses and the squat lobsters. There were spectacular yellow pygmies on the house reef at the resort. The little fish were pregnant. I posted a pic of the yellow one, but have some red pygmies as well (also pregnant). To get the shot, I had my wife on the other side of the sea fan wiggling a small twig in front of the fish. When it turned away from her, it turned toward me. In this shot I was able to get both eyes in the picture and also its little fins on either side of the head.

     

    I'd recommend the highland tour and the Takongo rainforest tour. The highlands tour is a cultural and scenic tour of one highland community. Beware, if you tour the market, they have slaughtered dogs there and live ones getting ready to slaughter. My wife almost puked just from the small of smoked dog. I shot pics of the caged dogs (very sad sight and totally inhumane) and they were just stacked on top of each other (alive but unable to move) in a huge pile, waiting to have their heads smacked against the ground. I shot pics of the dogs being butchered too, but when I came home I petted my dog for an hour.

     

    On the rainforest tour, be ready for a workout and raid. We spent a few hours hiking up hill in between spiders, their webs, some kind of huge steriod infected mosquitos, humidity, thorny plant like things and heat. If it rains, pull off a palm leaf and use it for an umbrella. They work great. After a few hours we found the small 6-inch monkeys. They look just like gremlins, with huge round eyes and they are cute as hell. If I had to summize them, they are a cross between a rat and a monkey. I posted a pic for you.

     

    Well, if you have any questions about the trip just drop me a note.

     

    Joe

    post-1513-1122136859_thumb.jpg

    post-1513-1122136884_thumb.jpg

  2. More pics

    post-1513-1122136941_thumb.jpg

    post-1513-1122136962_thumb.jpg

    post-1513-1122136984_thumb.jpg

  3. A few more

     

    I'll be posting more on a website soon.

     

    Joe

    post-1513-1122137024_thumb.jpg

    post-1513-1122137056_thumb.jpg

    post-1513-1122137109_thumb.jpg

  4. This is the squat lobster and the yellow pygmie.

     

    Joe

    post-1513-1122137164_thumb.jpg

    post-1513-1122137188_thumb.jpg

    post-1513-1122137263_thumb.jpg

  5. And finally the monkey

    post-1513-1122137396_thumb.jpg

    post-1513-1122137444_thumb.jpg

  6. Great coleman & pygmy...don't post any of the dogs, please :D

    Looks like some of these critters are exactly the same ones I shot in early May...a lot of them just don't move very far, do they?

  7. Very nice pics. A few questions:

    1. Did you get many hairy octopus? and which site?

    2. How about nudibranchs? The rarer ones?

    3. Who told you that bluering octopus was new to the area? I've seen them around lembeh since 95 and I'm sure they've been around looonnnggg before that.

    4. Did you try the smoked dog? It's actually quite tasty. I also don't suggest you post the dog pics here as in some cultures, people may react badly to them. :D

    5. Did you run into any of the liveaboard divers? I think there are 3-4 boats there now.

    Edited by scubadru
  8. Hi Joe,

     

    That Pygmy, too cool. Love the way he's "glaring" at you. Really nice shot. And your Batfish. I've yet to see one and you get it near the surface with reflection. :D Great pic.

     

    Rand

  9. Very nice photos of some great subjects....the juvenile batfish is fantastic

     

    Karl

  10. Very nice shots! Love the batfish.

  11. Thanks for the feedback. I won't post any dog shots, I promise!

     

    As for the blue ring octopus, they apparently went away for some time and according to the resort managers they had only seen one in the past year or so. We saw 4-5 over 15 days of diving. I knew they were in Lembeh but did not know that they were probably "seasonal".

     

    There were a lot of nudibranchs, but I didn't bother to ask which ones were rare. I doubt I got any rare shots as I've seen all that I shot before on other trips.

     

    I did not see the hairy octopus, but my friends did see and photograph one in 6 feet at Nudi Falls. We went back several times with no luck, but they got video and stills.

     

    I did not try the dog, was afraid I'd start barking.

     

    Unfortunately we ran into liveaboards. They lived by much different rules than KBR. Solo diving was allowed and they had little respect for other divers.I had one lady drop next to me at the mandrin dive and push me aside to cram her framer into the mating fish. No etiquite at all.

     

    The batfish (six of them) live under the pier at KBR. I shot that on snorkel in 2 feet of water. The one you see was the littlest, while his brothers and sisters were a little bigger and had much more developed stripes.

     

    Joe

  12. I believe that's a tarsier monkey. They're one of the visitor attractions also if you go to Bohol in the Philippines. I've always wanted to see one of those and a pygmy marmoset in the wild.

  13. You are correct in that the tarsier monkey is one of only three opportunities at KBR to see anything topside that's worthwhile. We almost got skunked, and just at the end of the hike we got two surprises....heavy rain and monkeys. We used palm leaves as umbrellas and hung out with the nmonkeys until we could lure them out of the trees with grasshoppers.

     

    They are cute little bugers, though.

     

    Joe

  14. I did two wide angle dives in Lembeh. There are some opportunities there but focusing on WA takes you away from the signature macro animals. Here are a few I shot. The split image is on the pier at KBR. The jellyfish shot is on snorkel in front of the resort. We had a sudden influx of thousands of jellyfish, so I took the opportunity to use my Nikon 10.5 to photograph them. The rest were shot with my 12-24 with a +2 diopter. I suppose I couild have gotten better shots, but this is what I get for two WA dives.

     

    Enjoy!

     

    Joe

    post-1513-1122162358_thumb.jpg

    post-1513-1122162385_thumb.jpg

  15. Two more.

     

    Joe

    post-1513-1122162432_thumb.jpg

    post-1513-1122162453_thumb.jpg

  16. And the Jelly

    post-1513-1122162506_thumb.jpg

  17. Outstanding report Joe! Great photos to illustrate as well. Sounds like you had a great time.

     

    Thanks for taking the time out to write such a detailed report!

     

    M

  18. I like the WA's. But that's just me. I like to see what the uw environment looks like and not just closeups of the critters that live in it The jellyfish shot it very unique. It looks like you had a very successful trip. I look forward to seeing more.

  19. Great shots Joe!

     

    I really like the pygmy seahorse. Good eye contact. And the snake with eerie lighting. All the images are really nice!

     

    When we (Randy and I) were there (Lembeh Resort) the guides called the hairy yellow frogfish the "Lembeh Frogfish." We say him trying really hard to capture a peacock flounder twice his size. Lure out and fishing. :D

     

    It sounds like you had a great time. It's an amazing place to dive and photograph.

     

    Kathy

  20. Great report Joe.

     

    Really gives people a good flavour of what Lembeh is like.

     

    Alex

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.