Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Sunbursts continued...

Started by randapex ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

Sunbursts continued...

24 posts
  1. So you are using that first. Interesting. I have only used CS but know that we were shooting same and similiar settings so maybe I need to look at that. Got any tips in how once into the program...email me if Topsecret. <_<

     

    Digital Photo Professional is available from the Canon website. It'll install if you have the software on the CD that came with the camera installed. Yes. It works on the Rebel raw files. I've only recently installed it and only tried it on a few pics (I've been using C1 for all my Rebel pics). I like it. Lots of adjustments to play with. I think once I get use to it, it may work as well and as quickly as the C1. Not bad for the price of $0.

     

    I got the special C1 Rebel version for around $20 which they no longer offer.

     

    I downloaded the CS2 trial version and tried it and had found it not to be very good for the Sunburst shots. I think I'll save the $150 for something more useful.

     

    There's no secret. Just play around with the white balance, saturation, and contrast until it looks good. Interestingly, the settings for a good result are quite different for the C1 and DPP.

  2. I shot these on my first dive at Bunaken last month.

     

    Depth about 20 meters Vis about a murky 30 meters Surface conditions calm

     

    D2X Subal / 16mm Nikon combo also first dive with this combo.

     

    Both were opportunistic grabs - I still have got a long way to go to get it right.post-2339-1122436707_thumb.jpgpost-2339-1122436790_thumb.jpg

    Edited by pmooney
  3. I don't mean to sway to far from the conversation but since RAW converters are a part of what the sunburst will ultimately look like. Here is an example of the same RAW file shot with the 20D on a sunburst using two different converters in their default mode... Canon's DPP (top) and Capture One Pro (bottom)...

     

    sunflares.jpg

     

    Photoshop's CS2 RAW converter shows even more of an undesirable sunburst than even C1 in this case. From what I've noticed, it is only in shots like this where the sun is directly in the photograph that there is such a big difference between the converters. One thing I did find interesting was whenever I recached the images in Adobe Bridge, before Bridge automatically adjusts the RAW images [even with auto adjustments turned off], I can see for a few seconds what appears like a good preview of the RAW image similar to what DPP produces. But once you open the file it no longer appears as it should.

     

    Unfortunately for me, a fast workflow is the most important aspect of working with images and until DPP and C1 come up with a better system of adding IPTC data (ie.keywords) to their files I am stuck with using Adobe Bridge. Now if I was to work on an image for printing I'd probably use DPP to make my RAW adjustments.

  4. Hi, Very interesting, Laz.... Could we know the settings you used for the pic?

    Thanks

    Matetes

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.