Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

My new Nexus D70s housing : First impressions

Started by motionsync ·

  • 28Posts
  • 28Replies

Read-only discussion

My new Nexus D70s housing : First impressions

28 posts
  1. My first impression of my new Nexus D70s is that it is strong and very compact. It is smaller that it looks like on the pictures on the web and much smaller than some other housings. I am impressed with the simplicity of the housing and the clean "Japanese" lines. The painting is beautiful silver. How good the painting is can only be judged by time. Maybe more experienced Nexus owners can tell??

    The handles are awesome, provide a firm grip and can accept a range of strobe mounts. Nexus have some options for those handles. One is a spacer for those with larger hands (or smaller). The other option is an adapter to set the grip forward for use with longer ports a place the focus wheel at your finger tips. Great for manual focus.

     

    D70s.jpg

     

    Putting my Nikon in the housing was very easy to do and all the controls were working without the need of adjustments. Dual Nikonos V flash synch sockets are standard.

     

    The new Multi viewfinder

    I am sure that some of you wonder why it is called D70s and not just D70. Well, it’s a newer model and the new about it is the viewfinder.

     

    picup.jpg

     

    It comes with two pick up lenses. One is for Wide angle - 0.7 magnifier lens and

    one for Macro & manual focus - 1.2 magnifier lens.

    I have tested them both and they are very efficient.

    The wide angle pick up lens give you a easy view, corner to corner.

    The Macro pick up lens is like a zoom. You must put you eye in line with the viewfinder but then you see 75% of the picture extremely sharp and near. Installing the lenses is very easy. I think that is a good alternative to the Grand viewfinder à la Subal /Seacam /sealux, not at least for the budget.

     

    Controls

    I was stress about the shutter release button. I was locking at Subals & Hugyfots

    shutter release design and was thinking that the Nexus will be hard to use. But surprisingly the Nexus shutter release has an excellent feeling. I can not describe it but it is easy to control the “autofocus moment†and “release momentâ€.

     

    My other point of concern – as you probably read at the forum – was the front & rear dial wheels. But accually they are awesome. They are very easy to control with the finger and thumb tip and rotates toward or away from you. I think that Nexus put great effort to the gear on those dials for easy spun. The same goes for the manual focus/zoom wheel. From the first moment it was easy for me to access and rotate the wheels without pulling my face away from viewfinder.

     

    My first critical comment this far is that my housing came with a wrong button. It doesn’t exist an AE/AF lock lever but in its place there is a diopter adjustment control lever. I don’t know why anyone would need this control... Maybe because you need to adjust the diopter when you use the pic up lens. Anyway, after contacting my dealer he can arrange AF/AE lock lever parts and he can ship it to me. It is supposed to be very easy to install yourself. This will show how easy it is to make modifications and fix the housing

     

     

    FP120-7 Glass Dome Port

    My nexus come with the new FP120-7 glass dome port. It is a very small dome lens with a diameter of only 113mm and a weight only 322g.

    I am not sure but I think that this dome has authentic 180 degrees curve rage.

    Special design from the Nikon 10,5mm but you can use it to with the Nikon 16mm

    Nexus is going a different way. I think that smaller domes with equivalent image quality is a great solution for divers like me who want to travel & dive light and compact. I hope that I will have time today to test the Dome with the Nikon 10,5 mm.

     

    port.jpg

     

     

    I think I have made a good choice with the Nexus D70s s Housing.

    My only criticism is that its lack of a leak detector but you can buy it optional.

    Maybe I will find more with the time and when I have test the housing in real world conditions.

     

    What remains is to see how it is used underwater but before that I must dive with the empty housing to test that it is waterproof. The bath tube test is done and it didn't leak!

    Lambis

    Edited by motionsync
  2. Hi Lambis,

     

    Thanks for posting this very detailed report. When I was first looking for a digital housing I couldn't find much about the Nexus. I am sure this will help a lot of people.

     

    Luiz

  3. Congrats.....looks like a beautiful housing :):D enjoy :D:(

     

    Karl

  4. Luiz

    I had the same problem, I couldn't find much about the Nexus

    and most off the webpage infos are old or in japanese. together with the fakt that Nexus is not popular on Wetpixel you have the impression that this is not a good housing.

    I will test it in the water and write about but from the first impressions i think that a Nexus can easily be in the same podium with other topsellers

     

    Lambis

  5. "I hope that I will have time today to test the Dome with the Nikon 10,5 mm."

     

    I'd like to read your thoughts after testing. I very much like the idea of smaller dome ports...

     

    Thanks for posting!

  6. Hi Lambis,

    thanks for the review...

    I m living in France , have sold all my subal ND70 stuff and actually moving to D2X

    I m very close to order a whole sealux system.

    Have you an idea from the after sale services from Nexus , is it in europe or will you always have to ship it to Japan ?

  7. Hi Jerome

     

    I have orded from Japan. I have excellent relations with my dealer but if you what to order in Europe, Oceanoptics in London is a reseller for Nexus housings

     

    Talk to Steve at Oceaoptics. He know both Subal & Nexus.

     

    I dont know if I would have bought the Nexus housing having the D2x Camera. I chosed the Nexus D70s because I didn't see why I should pay for an expensive housing since I have a rather cheap camera. But if I had for example a D2x camera I would consider. I believe that for the D2X camera, the difference in housings are big.

     

    Lambis

  8. Dome Port FP120-7 & Nikon 10.5mm

    Have take some shoots from my kitchen window to check the quality off the dome Dome port colar was touching the window frame. Photos are JPG BASIC direct from the camera.

     

     

    1/500 F4.5

    150045.jpg

     

    1/30 F18

    13018.jpg

     

     

    what are you thinking? This weekend I will check it under water

     

    Lambis

    Edited by motionsync
  9. There's no point taking photos through your dome port until you get it underwater. Out of water, there is no refraction, underwater the water and dome form a lens.

     

    Cheers

    James

  10. Lambis -

     

    I did not know Nexus had optional viewfinders! This is nice...how much are they each?

     

    M.

  11. I dont know if you can get them as stand alone. My housing is a new model

    ND70s-MF. I will look if I you ca by them standalone but I think that you need to replace the acrylic back of the nexus housing.

    Lambis

  12. Hey Mike, you better get those 2 telephoto zooms first :):D

     

    Karl

  13. Lambis,

    I glad you are happy with housing & your review is VERY well discribed about housing. My new housing is 3 weeks old & I did not have choice on new view finder. Anthis (www.anthis.co.jp) , manufacture of Nexus housing, announced new view finder on July 14 & you got one of FIRST one.

     

    With your early mention, I bought 10.5mm this week but, going to use it on my FP170 dome port. I will be on diving trip in two weeks & will post a pic & we maybe can compare the result (of dome).

     

    Sam

  14. Sam

     

    The Nexus club is growing :-)

     

    You have more lenses that me so the FP170 dome port is just fine.

    I will test and see . I am curius becauce i am 99% sure that my dome is a true 180 Fisheye.

     

    Do you like your housing? Do you think that my observations are correct?

    Lambis

  15. Hi,

    Re price for back plate, I could not find new price but, it was like U$420 option when I was buying it 3 weeks ago ( it maybe different back plate now) but, it lot cheaper than those on Seacam & Subal.

     

    Re paint Lambis mentioned, it is "Paint" not inodizing or powder spray hence, I already made few scratches on first dive.

     

    Sam

  16. Lambis,

    I agree 100% with your review. Re shutter feeling, I was worried when I first find shutter lever does not have return spring ("Do i have to return shutter manually ?...oh no...I had to do that on some of Ike P&S housing..") but, it was working perfectly even in underwater. It was working just like it is working on ground without housing.

     

    Sam

  17. Good to see it is in your hands! Alex

  18. Thanks Alex

     

    Is it not a great housing? O.K. Not the sweet design of Subal and the special painting but you must test it. i think you will love the control and ergonomy especialy for the aperature control

     

    Lambis

     

    Dont you sleep? Are you working with the magic Filter :)

    I am cuting a film and tommorow it must be finish. Will work all the night :-(

  19. Dont you sleep? Are you working with the magic Filter  :)

     

    Actually I am just back from a night out in London with some girls! Thought I'd turn my computer on before bed - and excellent to see you have your housing. I will read the report properly in the morning.

     

    Yes, we've been working hard on the Magic, but we are now mainly waiting for the manufacturer. The instruction brochure should be printed within the next week, but the filter may not be ready until the middle of August. I'd hope much sooner, but I wouldn't count on it.

     

    Alex

  20. Going out with girls!!!

     

    Alex we must meet!!! We will have a blast off time. I am very sure about this :)

     

    Please read tommorow my review (its only the first part more is comming soon) and put your comments. I really like your opinion.

     

    I think i will order a Kodak CC 40 R gel filter untill the MAGIC is finish.

     

    Lambis

    Edited by motionsync
Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.