I'm sure that this topic has been thoroughly discussed before but I'd still like to hear other people's views on it.
Digital gives us the ability to post process ad infinitum. Personally I view any adjustment made within the Raw converter or made 'globally' on the image (usually in '16-bit') as OPTIMISATION - that is to say I don't see such actions as manipulating the image content.
The next stage becomes grey quite quickly - ENHANCEMENT may be actions like say the shadow/highlight filter (a 'global' action), or editing out small amounts of backscatter, perhaps adjusting a locally dark area, etc,. None of these I would view as fundamentaaly altering image content.
The last phase is MANIPULATION - editing out unwanted items, or actually changing picture content (grafting eyes or whatever you want to do).
I raise this issue because I have no doubt that the ethics of submitting adjusted material are ones which will interest magazines and competition organisers. This will be especially so with 'natural history' subjects (which of course many underwater images are), and I do wonder where the line will be drawn. For myself I am happy to a optimise and enhance but whilst there are a few pictures where manipulation may just be viable, I don't usually want to go down this road unless I have to - and then the image exif data will be labelled accordingly. I know that the Royal Photographic Society Nature Group has a digital policy about digital integrity - does anyone know of any others?
