Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Optimum beginner camera / housing to get started?

Started by purduephotog ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Optimum beginner camera / housing to get started?

7 posts
  1. Hello-

     

    After a few unsuccessful google searches (ya'll hiding out here?) I've found this site and would like to pose the situation:

     

    I have several $K invested in digital SLR gear. I'd like to be able to shoot underwater for some shots but can not justify the cash expenditure towards buying a 2K$ housing for my 10D (not to mention the increased risk of losing the camera).

     

    Therefore I'm looking for a:

    1) Good P&S, low noise, good battery life that can be placed in a...

    2) Good UW housing that is ...

    3) Competitvely priced.

     

    Ideally said camera would take CF cards since I have about 15 gb of them laying around.

     

    Most of my work would be inside of pools and shallow water- more modeling opportunities there.

     

    I found digiweb as a source of housings but I had to go thru each housing to find it's cost, then look up the camera- there has to be a simpler way of searching, especially since I'm not tied to any particular camera/setup (other than CF cards, and even that isn't that big of a deal if I have to purchase an additional card).

     

    Suggestions are more than welcome.

     

    Thank you very much,

     

    Jason Hirsch

  2. You came to the right place ;)

    Try searching this forum ad the P&S forum for suggestions/recommendations and so on.

    According to what I remember the most recommended cameras this days around here are the:

    1. Fuji F810

    2. Sony V3

    3. Nikon 8400

    4. Oly 5050 (quit old but still great camera)

    5. Sea&Sea DX8000G

    Try to find here and in other site data about this models and find what is best for you.

  3. Since you're a Canon owner already I would suggest a Canon compact digital camera and housing. I use a S70 and I love its wide 28mm zoom and compact size (I can almost tuck the housing it into my BC pocket!). Just wish the 640x480 movie capture rate was 30fps instead of 15fps (but then if you wanted to take video you should buy a DV camera and housing) ;)

     

    Avoid the Fuji, Olympus and Sony cameras as they use proprietery memory cards (though some Olympus models will also take CF cards). Since you're looking for a CF card camera that has full manual controls, I would suggest the following cameras which all have housings:

     

    7MP

    Canon S70 WP-DC40

     

    5MP

    Caon S60 WP-DC40

    Canon A95 WP-DC50

    Canon S2 TBD*

     

     

    Your total cost for the camera, housing and a spare battery for any of these should be $500-$750.

    By the way, if you're looking for a good use for a spare CF card, you could always buy an MP3 player:

     

    http://www.discount-electronic.com/shoppin...xd.asp?id=19789

     

     

    *Note that Canon makes the WP-DC20 housing for the Canon S1 (a 3.2MP camera). The S2 is the new 5MP version of the S1 and Canon has yet to release a housing for it but I read that they are working on one:

     

    http://www.digideep.com/forum/viewtopic.ph...170&language=en

    Edited by moondaug
  4. Thank you very much for the tips-

     

    I was looking for something with nice fat pixels to cut my noise, so I'll take a look at that pair of Canon's.

     

    Seriously, most of my work would be of underwater women ;) so I won't have to swim too far. I figure this is a great way to add an exotic photo op and a way of distinguishing myself from everyon else.

     

    Barring that, it'll be a heck of alot more fun on the next trip :D

     

    Any other ideas, keep them comin!

     

    Jason

  5. Seriously, most of my work would be of underwater women ;) so I won't have to swim too far. 

     

     

     

    Our going price for helpful information is LOTS of pictures posted by the one receiving the information :D

  6. You came to the right place  :D

    Try searching this forum ad the P&S forum for suggestions/recommendations and so on.

    According to what I remember the most recommended cameras this days around here are the:

    1. Fuji F810

    2. Sony V3

    3. Nikon 8400

    4. Oly 5050 (quit old but still great camera)

    5. Sea&Sea DX8000G

    Try to find here and in other site data about this models and find what is best for you.

     

    1. Fuji F810

    Camera: 347-416

    Housing: 270

    2. Sony V3

    Camera: 530-600

    Housing: 510

    3. Nikon 8400

    Camera: 699-799

    Housing: 629

    4. Oly 5050 (quit old but still great camera)

    Camera: Couldn't find

    Housing: Couldn't Find

    5. Sea&Sea DX8000G

    Camera/Housing: 1,024.95

     

    *sigh*

     

    For the cost of some of these cameras I can pick up a used /new rebel for about 600$ and throw a cheap lense on and still get the advantage of fat pixels.

     

    Believe me, as soon as I get the photos working you'll see'em ;) My underwater mom just popped, so I'll have to find another friend that's pregnant when I get this setup.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.