Hello!
Had the opportunity yesterday to go offshore with an experienced fishing captain, and I brought along the camera. We were approx 10 miles off Key West, in 1000 ft of Atlantic Ocean blue water, and we came upon a “weed line†teaming with baitfish, (and what I assumed could be various varieties of juvenile game fish). One particular area of the weed line was the size of a golf green. I was toying around with the idea of donning the mask and snorkel and jumping in to see if anything was photo worthy, when we hooked up a 5 ft shark (standard Caribbean Reef variety)…and I scared myself out of doing it. We were not “chumming†the water, just dragging a couple of lures behind the boat. Again, no blood in the water. Was I right to be freaked out, or was I just letting those old episodes of Jaws that kept looping through my mind talk me out of a possible good photo opp?
I've encountered numerous sharks in the shallow waters at the reef, and I didn't even think to be nervous.
Has anybody ever taken any photos like these in similar conditions, and if so any pointers? (besides making sure the lines are back in the boat
)
Respectfully,
Al Nelson