Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Upgrading

Started by kmrcat ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Upgrading

4 posts
  1. Hi. I'm a new member as well as relatively new to the underwater photography addiction. I'm currently using a Reefmaster DC 300, housing and strobe. The camera takes adequate pictures but has HORRIBLE battery life, no zoom capabilities, etc. It's very basic. I'm very interested in going to a Coolpix (unsure which model) and an Ikelite housing. I also don't know much about strobes. Anybody out there want to offer some direction? It'd be greatly appreciated.

     

    Thanks!

     

    :)

  2. Hello and welcome onboard.

    If you interesting in the coolpix see Dave Burroughs review on the 8400 & Ike housing on this thread

  3. Welcome!

     

    Addiction is something we are all horriby used to. And it gets worse. One thing perhaps worth thinking about: you will indeed get some great pictures out of a good prosumer digital and housing. I know from my own experience - and reading that of others on these pages - that it doesn't take too long before the drawbacks of prosumer cameras kick-in: battery life, shutter delay, fixed lenses.... and you feel the need to go to DSLR. And that means a new housing and, chances are, losing a lot of money on the housing you bought for your prosumer.

     

    I'm not suggesting you dash out a buy a DSLR and housing. But you might like to bear this in mind. Arnon suggested taking a look at the CP8400. I was very happy with my CP5000/Subal for a couple of years and got some great pics. I'm not familiar with the CP8400 but you might like to keep an eye on the prosumer issues that I have highlighted and be sure you will be happy with how the CP8400 measures up.

     

    Good luck with it - and post some pics here when you have got them.

  4. Check the Classifieds here and other sites for USED equipment. Many are currently upgrading to new cameras and you can pick up gear less then 2yrs old for 1/2 the price you would pay for new. I bought a complete DSLR set up, with camera body, for less than I would have paid for a new L&M Oly 5050 basic setup.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.