Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Stock Photography - Web Page Builder

Started by JamesWood ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Stock Photography - Web Page Builder

12 posts
  1. I’ve been selling stock images for children’s books and text books on and off for about 10 years as a side project. This has covered the costs of most of my equipment (but not travel or time, but I do both for fun and work anyway). I’d like to continue to retain control of my work instead of listing images with a stock library.

     

    I’m posting to ask for recommendations for software specifically for creating a web page to sell stock images (as opposed to the many consumer programs that simply show off someone’s work). Ideally I’d like a program that is searchable, easy to update, that is a big enough company that they aren’t going to go under, that can generate Google findable sub-pages and that I can make custom fields in (for example, if I have the image in RAW or not, etc).

     

    I’m unfortunately not a computer geek but once upon a time I wrote my own SQL statements and MS access database. HTML by hand is no problem. I’ve forgotten almost all of the database skills and just don’t have the time to relearn them and build something from scratch which is why I’d prefer a pre-made software package to hand coding something.

     

    Any recommendations?

     

    James

    Edited by JamesWood
  2. I've been looking at this product recently... can't yet recommend it as I have not bought/used it yet, but it appears to do exactly what you/I am looking for.

     

    K-tools Photoseller PHP/MySQL product

     

    If you want to be really nice to me, click this link Referral Link and then buy it, and apparently they give me a kick back ;)

     

    (The first link to the product doesn't have the referral code in it, BTW)

  3. I’m unfortunately not a computer geek but once upon a time I wrote my own SQL statements and MS access database...

     

     

    Why is that unfortunate??? My, how times have changed when we have to apologize for not being sufficiently geeky to get by ;)

  4. once upon a time I wrote my own SQL statements and MS access database.  HTML by hand is no problem. 

     

     

    Well, that statement right there actually does make you a computer geek! ;)

     

    Good question though, i had no idea such a program existed...

    Thanks for the link Craig i just might check it out.

     

    Here i was thinking this was something that had to be done by hand...which is why my site is only just a gallery...

     

    Me? Definitely not computer geek, all i can do is write emails....html?! not a freakin clue!

  5. Well, that statement right there actually does make you a computer geek! ;)

     

    Nah, I'm just a hack with a really dull blade. I can only fake my way so far. . . :-)

     

    Anyway, here is another program to consider:

     

    http://www.prenticephoto.com/Agaveweb.htm

     

    Pluses are the ASMP pricing help, invoices and other pro management stuff . Negatives: I'm not sure if clients can search the images online and it seems more geared towards . . . (close your eyes, this could be considered a rude four letter word here) "FILM". The web part of this program may not be it's strong point - I'm just not sure. . . The biggest cost to any of these programs is the tremendous amount of time that it will take to load all ones images, with key words, location, format details, etc.

     

    Hopefully someone who is using one of these programs, or something else, for their stock images will reply with some additional pearls of wisdom.

     

    Mike, you can get Photoshop to make a quick and dirty web page with a few clicks of a button. It won't be searchable (at least in the older version - 7 that I have access too). It won't be fancy but it takes about a minute to make if you have your images for a Gallery all in one folder.

     

    I'm looking for something a lot more than this. I'd even like to know what key words clients are using to search the page so I can better tag my imagers. A good database program should be able to provide that info.

     

    James

  6. Before you go down this route, just stop and do a websearch to see how many people are trying to sell online! Now ask yourself whether picture researchers really do trawl the web for images. My experience (as a professional stock photographer) is that most researchers prefer large searchable websites (the direction I am finally moving towards) with a large choice of high quality images. They also like simple. easy to navigate, keyworded and above all accurately captioned material (the last bit can be a real stumbling block). If you enjoy setting up a site then carry on, otherwise I'd suggest that you may put in a lot of time/effort without much recompense. The stock world is changing and just because there is more choice does not mean to say that it will all be viewed and used.

  7. Firstly I am not a "pro" and have never sold a single image (just to clarify that ;+).

     

    I have been playing with Gallery 2. but its not google compatible (gallery 1.x is but does not look nice) its also a pain in the a*** to load up unless your website cpanel can do it automatically. I have been impressed by coppermine and have been considering it (its free also).

     

    I am really impressed with the K-tools link, looks ready to roll out of the box - but $295 is a lot of money to me.

  8. PGK, I believe that I understand at least some of the difficulties and am aware of the effect of digital and royalty free images on the market. As mentioned above, I think the PhD in marine biology helps me offer more than just an image as it allows me to provide a service that the big guys with lots of pretty pictures and little knowledge of biology simply can't do. I believe remaining small when everyone else is going big is the right choice for me (but certainly not for everybody). Also, I'm not going to quit my day job as a Research Scientist in Bermuda (which is also not the easiest way to make a living but damn it is stimulating).

     

    Editors are already finding me via word or mouth and from my science web pages, buying an image or two and then specifically asking to see more of my stuff. In ten years I have ONLY sold images of cephalopods as that is what in on my online science web pages (The Cephalopod Page, CephBase, CephSchool lesson plans, etc). I have no where to send already paying clients to view the rest of my work. I intend to change that and damn the torpedoes. However, I do understand where you are coming from and I would also caution anyone else thinking about this to read your post here and your other posts on Stock Photography. As I mentioned in the other stock thread, I’d be living under a bridge and eating rice if I was dependent on this for a living. However, it has been a slowly growing side business in the last 10 years and I’m ready to take a risk.

     

    Aquatic, thanks for the heads up regarding HindSight software. Are you using it? If so, do you have a web page we could look at.

     

    Whitehead, I suspect that programs like Gallery 2 are great for what most people here want to do but aren’t what I’m specifically after. FREE is a wonderful word.

     

    I’m impressed with the honesty of the gentleman that makes Agave software (who is also a professional stock photographer). He wrote back stating that his product is not what I’m looking for but recommended software by Extensis (http://www.extensis.com/). Looks like you can download a free 30 d copy to play with.

     

    Summary so far:

     

    Extensis (http://www.extensis.com/)

    K-tools (http://www.ktools.net/?partner=craig@ruaux.net)

    Hinsight (http://www.hindsightltd.com)

  9. Hard business to make work. MAke sure your software is customer friendly. I have blown off many a site because of the confusing maneuvering.

     

    Joe

  10. OK James - good job. So now you need to pick one that has good web and customer integration. Oh, and that doesn't cost $5,000. Good luck!

     

    Cheers

    James

  11. OK James - good job.  So now you need to pick one that has good web and customer integration.  Oh, and that doesn't cost $5,000.  Good luck!

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    Right.

     

    And I've also adding to my "want list" the ability to run on pretty much any web host as opposed to a host that has to have specialized proprietary software over and above what "normal" hosts have in addition to the software I'll be purchasing. I want to be as independent as possible so I'd prefer a solution that doesn't require me to invest a lot of time and money into this project AND THEN be dependant on one group (or a very small group of) hosts. I'm currently playing with software by Extensis (Portfolio and NetViewer) which is what the fellow who made Agave suggested. I need to look at Hindsight and some others still as well. I’ve heard good things about Coppermine here and elsewhere but when I looked at it the other day their site was down.

     

    James

    Edited by JamesWood
Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.