Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Cute fishy

Started by mntlblok ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Cute fishy

8 posts
  1. post-4781-1125979522_thumb.jpgpost-4781-1125979466_thumb.jpg Found this little guy lying in what looks like a bed of tunicates in the sand near Gray's Reef off the Georgia coast. Don't ask why I was only "near" the reef. :unsure: What is it?

     

    While nowhere near as pretty, its face sorta reminded me of the Mandarin Goby you guys keep getting to go see over yonder. :P

     

    Kevin

    Edited by mntlblok
  2. I thought Lantern bass, but the tail markings don't look right. It's some sort of Serranus. Perhaps the male and female have different markings?

    Cheers,

    Marli

  3. post-4781-1126065864_thumb.jpgThanks for the nudge in the right direction, Marli. (Loved your website) :unsure: Having some fun trying to run it down via Google. Currently looking at Bank Sea Bass - Centropristis ocyurus (maybe a juvenile), Sand Sea Bass - Diplectrum formosum, Rock Sea Bass - Centropristis philadelphica, Spotted Sand Bass - Paralabrax maculatofasciatus, and Belted Sandfish - Serranus subligarius.

     

    http://www.fishecology.org/fads/cynocyt.gif This photo looks to me a lot like the little guys in the background in the attached photo. It is described as a juvenile bank sea bass.

     

    Kevin

    Edited by mntlblok
  4. Hi Kevin,

     

    I don't really know those cold water soft bottom fish well, but I can tell you for sure that the one in your photo is neither Diplectrum formosum nor Serranus subligarius, I've seen both and they look very different from what is in your photo. I will take a look at my books in the office tomorrow and try to come up with an ID for you.

     

    Luiz

  5. All right, I think it is a Bank Sea Bass (Centropristis ocyurus). Take a look at the pictures at FishBase:

     

    http://fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSummary...iesname=ocyurus

     

    If you click on the photo it will take you to another page with more photos. Let me know if you agree.

  6. post-4781-1126234281_thumb.jpg Let me know if you agree.

     

    Yep, that's what I concluded in my last post. But, I think it must be a juvenile, because the adult has a pointy, tri-lobed caudal fin. And, these little guys were acting like children. :unsure: Thanks for the help.

     

    Is that white stuff tunicates?

     

    Kevin

    Edited by mntlblok
  7. Ran back across this thread whilst looking for something else. Have never made another attempt to dive (or even to "find") Gray's Reef, but have since run across a number of other Bank Sea Bass whilst diving the Blue Heron Bridge - where I seem to dive almost exclusively the last few years. http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=76042652@N00&q=bank%20sea%20bass

     

  8. Sick pic!

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.