Skip to content

Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic

Aiming Lights

Started by Don Silcock ·

  • 133Posts
  • 133Replies

Read-only discussion

Aiming Lights

133 posts
  1. Has anyone used the Sola 600 for a focus light?

     

    That's what it's meant for, I believe, and, in both white and red modes, it's better than anything I've used before.

     

    Tim

     

    :)

  2. Has anyone tried a blue filter for their focus light?

    I am using a Sola 600 and love it, but some critters still sense the red light and I wanted to try blue.

    I would really like to have a blue lens in a slip on rubber cover.

    Does anyone know where to get one?

     

    Thanks

    Bill

  3. Has anyone compared the Sola500P and the Sola600P ? Besides not having the red mode, the 500P is significantly cheaper and you could always add a red filter externally, but it would be nice to know how much brighter the 600 is....is it £180 brighter ??? I know the range is now the 500 then the 800, but i guess there are still plenty of 600P's around. Similarly has anyone compared the 500 or 600 with the Itorch Video Pro3 ? The only comparisons I can find are with the sola800 which is obviously much more powerful (and more expensive)

    Anyone got any input

    Mooseman

  4. I have the SOLA 1200 three settings of white and 3 settings on red. About to try out in Komodo. Will mainly use this as a focus light. Have a Inon L650 will mount under my Inon strobe to change this over to an aiming light

  5. After nearly three years passed since the last reply.....any new focus light ideas? I currently have two YS-D1s but there built in focus lights are not strong enough for me.....my wish is a Focus light with additional red light and automatic switch off while flashing....and stronger than the built in Focus lights.....any ideas?

  6. What do you think about the Fix Neo 1000 Mini WR FS?

  7. Hi,

     

    I am not using a focus light yet, but thinking of buy One.

     

    Is it useful that the light turns off, when my Ys-D1's Fire?

    And thinking of shy animals, what about red light?! Is there any visible red spots in ur photos?

     

    Thanks for ur thoughts!

     

    Chris

  8. Hey Chris

     

    I do think a red light is worth having and, from my experience, fish don't react anywhere near as adversely to it as they do to white. Many critters I have photographed don't react at all to red.

     

    As for a focussing light auto-switching off when the strobes fire, mine doesn't (a Sola P800) with my Inon Z240 strobes. I don't think I can recall a pic where it made an difference. No hot spots. But then I don't usually have the light on at 100%. I find that unnecessary.

     

    If you shoot macro with, say, a 105mm lens on a FX format, I'd recommend a focus-light. Less necessary I found with a 60mm macro lens. Not necessary at all with wide-angle.

  9. Round coast of Wales this year the viz has been pretty dire, eg av 2m most of the time. Focus light definitely necessary esp close focus WA. Do hope next year the waters have cleared a bit!

  10. I need to get a new aiming light for my Subal D10 housing and was looking for recommendations on which torch/light and mounting system to go for. I am currently using mainly Sea & Sea strobes, so no built in light available....

    My S&S 110a have internal focus lights. But the light and motion red spot 800 - 1200 range lights work well.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. It was found that each camera has an LED focus light. The power of this focus light is small, but the camera's focusing system is particularly sensitive to this orange-yellow light. Because the camera case blocked the camera's focus light, I specifically looked for On a few of these focusing LEDs, requesting the factory to customize this light. On land test, the camera will focus quickly. When you take a pic with flash, there is not any visible orange-yellow spots in the photos. This orange-yellow Light will not scare the creatures in the water maybe.post-70299-0-62388300-1557809975_thumb.jpgpost-70299-0-96254100-1557809974_thumb.jpgpost-70299-0-86546900-1557809973_thumb.jpgpost-70299-0-44487400-1557809972_thumb.jpg

  12.  

    ASMT-FJ60-AFJ00 AVAGOpost-70299-0-09018400-1557810561_thumb.jpgpost-70299-0-64684600-1557810544_thumb.png

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.