Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

AVI Files

Started by Kelpfish ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

AVI Files

8 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    I have some underwater AVI files shot with an olympus 5060 and, of course, they are greenish blue since I had no artificial light. Is there an easy way to color correct or run the file through some kind of filter? I don't know jack about digi vid :unsure:

     

    Joe

  2. Its very easy to import avi files to Adobe Premiere (or other software) and colour correct them. However, if you dont have any editing software ....youre going to have to find someone who does!

     

    Neil

  3. I would recomend virtualdub. http://www.virtualdub.org It's free and is much quicker than adobe on non-super-computers without 2 gigs of ram.

    Edited by acroporas
  4. Hi Joe

     

    I've recently used Adobe Premier Elements (the cut down version of Premier) for editing about 5 hours of video taken while I was in Thailand in August. I've never used the full Premier version, but I was very impressed with Elements.

     

    Colour correction was easy to do, with a simple method to balance red/blue/green levels. The only exceptions were that sometimes there was just not enough red in the original footage (especially from below 15m) to get any back into the finished video. Also the images did turn rather 'grainy' at times but on occasions the visiblily was down to 5m so that could very well be the problem there.

     

    Overall I was impressed with the software and it is certainly a cheaper option then the full version.

     

    Best Regards, Simon

  5. I would recomend virtualdub.  http://www.virtualdub.org It's free and is much quicker than adobe on non-super-computers without 2 gigs of ram.

     

    Agreed!! I have used both Adobe Premier and VirtualDub, and Vdub is very simple to use. I have only done on UW video with it, but I don't remember it being that hard to filter.

  6. How do you use Vdub to color correct? Just with levels?

     

    Joe

  7. It was a few years ago, so I don't remember exactly what I did, but I found this White Balance Filter with just a little bit of searching. You can try playing around with it.

  8. Here is a video clip I put together in Pinnacle Studio to show a demonstration of it's Auto Color Correct filter.

     

    Video was shot at around 40 feet. It does tend to desaturate, but overall it's an improvement over the original.

     

    http://www.redreefscuba.com/video/color.wmv

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.