Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Ikelite Housing and D70

Started by FishHunter ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite Housing and D70

6 posts
  1. I've been searching for a housing for my D70 for some time now and I've come to a conclusion. I think I am going to opt for an Ikelite housing but there are a few questions I have:

     

    Do the Inon strobes work ok with iTTL or do they require the use of a manual controller, in which case I would probably be better off using the DS125's.

    I really want the iTTL to function as I feel it will greatly improve my results and the Inon's look like a great space saver when it comes to travel.

     

    Can I get a dome port constructed from optical glass instead of the Polycarbonate ones available? If its not glass surely its going to be prone to scratching easier and doesn't appear to be as user friendly for split level shots as glass ports.

     

     

    I think one consideration that is swinging me towards Ikelite is that I can use the same dome port, 5503.50 for both my intended lenses, 12-24 and 60mm macro.

    Cost is an all important consideration here as my photography skills are pretty poor therefore I don't want to spend too much for potentially crap results.

  2. If you're bent on using glass ports, you can check out other housings for your camera on:

    http://www.digideep.com/english/digital/ph...ikon/D70/25/769

     

    This being said, I think the index of refraction of polycarbonate is very close to that of water, which would make the effect of light scratches rather minimal. A lot of wetpixel members are using Ikelite housings and ports with much success...

     

    Cheers,

    Mat

  3. The only way to use iTTL with an Ikelite housing is with the DS-125 or DS-50 strobes. the Inons will not work with iTTL.

     

    Ikelite does not offer glass domes. Their flat ports are glass however. The polycarbonate domes can be repaired very easily, even on dive trips.

     

    Karl

  4. Do the Inon strobes work ok with iTTL or do they require the use of a manual controller, in which case I would probably be better off using the DS125's.

    I really want the iTTL to function as I feel it will greatly improve my results and the Inon's look like a great space saver when it comes to travel.

     

    Both Ikelite's iTTL and Ikelite's manual controler will only work with Ikelite DS-125 and Ikelite DS-50 Strobes.

     

    Any other strobe and you will be limited to the manual settings that are on the strobe itself. (which for many strobes is fine)

  5. You say the polycarbonate can be repaired very easily. Can you elaborate on that. Can you just buff out scratches that you get?

    This may just convince me...

    Any more pro's and con's to polycarbonate domes?

  6. There are numerous methods to buff out minor scratches on polycarbonate domes....I use a kit made for airplane windshields that works great....very minor scratches can be buffed out with paste toothpaste!

     

    This was discussed a few months ago....a search may help locate the thread

     

     

    Karl

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.