Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

dvd storage

Started by mrbubbles ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

dvd storage

8 posts
  1. im going to start using dvd storage, in addition to backup hard drive. Are the media all the same or is there a higher quality prefered brand

  2. I was getting ready to do the same. My images are spread across 3 hard drives right now but I really need a back up solution that is affordable and reliable, yet can be stored off site for safety. The new Delkin Archival Gold DVD-R's look promising. That way you will still have your RAW files 100 years from now but no way for your great grandkids to open your cameras proprietary RAW data ;)

    Delkins' Press Release - Archival Gold DVD-R media.R

  3. The new Delkin Archival Gold DVD-R's look promising. That way you will still have your RAW files 100 years from now ...

    Delkins' Press Release - Archival Gold DVD-R media.R

     

    I also use the Delkin "100 year" discs (in some ads they're now claiming 300 years!), and I have also used TDK archival DVD-R's too. Apparently there IS a difference between standard discs--especially RW vs just R type--so I think it makes sense to get discs that are specifically designated as "archival" discs. I doubt that any of them will actually LAST 100 years, but I figure it's a reasonable way to have an extra backup for the foreseeable future. I also backup to a big HD on my home computer, and back up my "best" RAW files on several other HDs/laptop drives, etc..

  4. How do you guys do the actual archiving? Do you use a program that will do a burn and span many disks? I'd hate to have to organize all the folders into 4 gig sized units for burning.

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. How do you guys do the actual archiving?  Do you use a program that will do a burn and span many disks?  I'd hate to have to organize all the folders into 4 gig sized units for burning.

     

     

    I only use DVDs for achiving the "Best Of.." from a particular trip. A DVD holds just over 200 of my RAW files - which is usually very close to exact number of Best Of images I have from any trip.

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  6. Hey James

     

    I use Photoshop Album for my indexing and archiving. I have about 10,500 images on as thumbnails with all the RAWs "off line" on an external HD and also backed on to DVDs and CDs. Burning multiple, sequential CDs or DVDs is not a problem. A full DVD - about 425 images for me- takes about 20 minutes.

     

    Tim

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.