Tiger Beach (and other sharks)

Just came back from Grand Bahama. Booked 10 dives, only 3 happened because of bad conditions and one of the guides had been bitten by a tiger a week before. But got credited the missing dives so have to go back to Grand Bahama somehow in the future.

Some impressions

DSC05953.jpeg

DSC06080.jpeg

DSC06143.jpeg

DSC06203.jpeg

DSC06278.jpeg

DSC04122.jpeg

DSC04142.jpeg

DSC04146.jpeg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, fruehaufsteher2 said:

Just came back from Grand Bahama. Booked 10 dives, only 3 happened because of bad conditions and one of the guides had been bitten by a tiger a week before. But got credited the missing dives so have to go back to Grand Bahama somehow in the future.

Some impressions

DSC06080.jpeg

This one is great.. and what do you mean by "one of the guides had been bitten by a tiger a week before" ?????

12 hours ago, Ido said:

This one is great.. and what do you mean by "one of the guides had been bitten by a tiger a week before" ?????

Hi Ido,

surprisingly exactly as it is. We were 10 divers and one guide. That didn't feel too much. The other divers and I wondered why the guide was so cautious....

On our way back to Miami one of the other guys mentioned that usually there are two guides in the water but this time that wasn't possible because the other guide had surgery in Miami because of a shark bite in the hand. This happended when the guide tried to redirect one of the tigers from one of the divers. In fact some of the guests were very careful and respectful but others tried to touch the sharks, pet them, grab their fins... in the end those 6-7m fish are still wild animals.

• Sad 1

Great photos.  I’m sure it was fun.  But . . .

I’m not usually one to rain on anyone’s parade, but I can’t believe they’re still running those dives.  Once sharks learn that boat + splash = food, I don’t want to be the splash!  And Tiger Beach has enough history of attacks and fatalities to keep me away for good.  I’m not afraid of sharks in general and am always thrilled to see them under natural conditions.  But I won’t go near a baited operation.  Rant over.  

1 hour ago, Troporobo said:

Great photos.  I’m sure it was fun.  But . . .

I’m not usually one to rain on anyone’s parade, but I can’t believe they’re still running those dives.  Once sharks learn that boat + splash = food, I don’t want to be the splash!  And Tiger Beach has enough history of attacks and fatalities to keep me away for good.  I’m not afraid of sharks in general and am always thrilled to see them under natural conditions.  But I won’t go near a baited operation.  Rant over.  

Is there a link, where the attacks and fatalities at Tiger Beach have been documented?

I have read in the (Austrian) newspapers only about one fatality: it was a lawyer from Vienna, bitten in his leg and bleeded to death, but this was quite years ago?

Edited by Architeuthis

3 hours ago, Troporobo said:

Lots of reports, as recent as 2023.  Just search “shark attack tiger beach bahamas”

This Google search does not look good...😐

It seems there is no real statistics, summarizing all events. This may be due to the fact that shark organizations do only include "unprovoked" attacks in their statistics and these "feeding/baiting" spectacles can certainly not regarded as "unprovoked"...

Wolfgang

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.