Skip to content

Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic

Ring Flash

Started by Reefkeep ·

  • 35Posts
  • 35Replies

Read-only discussion

Ring Flash

35 posts
  1. Has anyone looked at the UK ring flash, looks like a great idea. They actually build a strobe in a macro port. Has anyone tried it or actually seen it? (Other than on the website)

     

    What do you think?

     

    http://www.uk-germany.com/

  2. What's the big idea? I'm new to this hobby so be gentle. I thought with U/W photography you wanted to get the flash away from the lens to solve backscatter. Wouldn't this just be a backscatter machine?

     

    Or is this something that you would use only for extreme macro in clear water where backscatter is not an issue and you want to eliminate shadows that come with one or more strobes mounted away from the lens?

     

    :)

     

    Chris

  3. I had one on order -- it was to be the first one shipped, I was told. However, that order was cancelled, since I've switched housings. :)

     

    I think one issue is that the lighting would be extremely flat, which isn't always flattering. However, on the UK Germany housing, it would be a really compact package. Probably a joy to shoot with. :)

  4. The idea of a ringflash for macro is an old one, but only for dentistry!

     

    As Eric mentioned it produces flat shadowless images.

     

    UK photographer Martin Edge built one into a small dome port some years ago but as expected the results were not too disirable and has discontinued.

     

    Scatter would not be an issue as the distances to subjects would only be inches.

     

    The Centon equivelent is less than $100.00

  5. it's good for shots like this. :) In fact, this was taken with the canon 100 usm macro lens, with ring flash. it's the same ring flash that will go into the uk germany ring flash macro port.

     

    20010522-1751-31.jpg

  6. Eric,

     

    Are you saying they will use the Canon MR-14EX macro ring light in the port? Hmmmm, then why such big costs? That model has seperate controls on both sides of the ring so that one can be more powerfull than the other... That helps with the flat light.

     

    I had planned on purchase the MR-14EX anyway for land shots. I assume the ring is mounted in the UK Germany port, thus I would own ( pay for) the same flash twice. Arrggg

     

     

    Chris,

    Backscatter shouldn't be much of an issue when you are less than a foot from your subject.

     

    Cybergoldfish,

    That ring flash is still very popular with the Macro folks.

     

    see some examples....

     

    MT-24EX Macro Flash pictures

    Canon's other Macro flash

     

    Canon MR-14EX pictures

    Canon MR-14EX

  7. Eric,

     

    Are you saying they will use the Canon MR-14EX macro ring light in the port?

    Actually, I'm not sure. It's hard to get any definitive information out of Uwe at UK Germany. I think we have a language barrier. :)

  8. Eric it's not just you, I want to order so many things from the guy but I don't have a comfort feeling that he understands what I am asking for. Not worth the risk when it takes 30 days and $50 bucks in shipping to return something.

  9. Eric,

     

    Are you saying they will use the Canon MR-14EX macro ring light in the port? Hmmmm, then why such big costs? That model has seperate controls on both sides of the ring so that one can be more powerfull than the other... That helps with the flat light.

     

    I had planned on purchase the MR-14EX anyway for land shots. I assume the ring is mounted in the UK Germany port, thus I would own ( pay for) the same flash twice. Arrggg

    Chris,

    Backscatter shouldn't be much of an issue when you are less than a foot from your subject.

     

    Cybergoldfish,

    That ring flash is still very popular with the Macro folks.

     

    From the UK website, I think they are talking about the ML3 ringflash, I would kill to have the mt24 housed, it is awesome on land.

    Bill

  10. Bill, that was all 5 years ago now...

  11. Bill, that was all 5 years ago now...

    What are they doing now?

  12. I have been using the Athena ring flash since May 2006 and have not found back scatter to be an issue at all even in the turbid waters of Alaska where this image was taken. The flash is available in the U.S. through reef photo & video.

     

    Olympus E-330, 50mm macro, Olympus PT-E02 housing.

     

    http://www.athena-opt.com/ringflashe.htm

     

    Phil Rudin

    post-2618-1171679095_thumb.jpg

  13. Hi all ,

     

    I just yesterday finished a new projekt as an alternative to a ringflash

     

    It is a multible flash baseing on the smal uw slave strobes from Fisheye, fantasea, aquamir and all2dive called nano, pst120 or picco12 .

     

    I found a solution to trigger one stobe via wire and the other(s) are triggert optical. The strobes are equiped with an auto sensor baseing on ISO100 F 3,5 -11 ..... with 3 power sets between -0.5 and +0,5 f stops. by using a diffuser for the sensor I was able to go up from F11 - F18 ( ISO 100) and using ISO 200 up to F22 .... and if I cover the sensor compleete there will be more ... but I could not test cause my lens ( zuiko 50mm makro) ends at F22. The testing distance ( work distance) has been about 9 cm up to 40 cm in front of the portglas.

     

    next week on Thuresday the first pool tests are planed....

     

    The strobe is triggert in manual mode ( no TTL) but it is posible to use it also with the TTL konverter if you know how many preflashes you will get, cause you can cancle one or two preflashes.

     

    The two (or more) little strobes are mounted at a ring holder fixed around a Makro port they are mounted on little arms ( 3 cm ) so you are able to turn up and down to get a flexible lighting .......

     

    In the strobe set 3 different diffusers for the strobe are addet -1 , -2 , -3 using these you are able to create multible light situations with hard and soft or none shades as you want.

     

    I have done about 120 test pics and the 2 AAA 750 mAh NiMh cells are already working.

     

    For modeling light I use the new automatic cut of pilot light sold under the brands of fisheye and fantasea and all2dive this light will be also mounted on the MD Makrostrobe Portring on the top, so you will be able to get a perfekt lighting with a fast AF for shooting makro. I tested with my UK-GERMANY E330 housing and noticed that a minimal distance down to 3 cm in front of the portglas is posible to get a propper light to an Objekt .

     

    Today I do a few changes to the prototype again and then I will come back with a pic.

     

    I imagine the strobe will be the smalest, cable triggered, UW strobe worldwide it will be posible to get all different connectors are on market ( Nikonos 5, S6, Ikelite, fantasea6, patima6 ) And if you have a compakt camera without a syncconector it will also be posible to use but in a version without a cable ( ceapest way ) also if you want to trigger with a already existing main strobe. It will be no problem to build a fitting port ring for every existing port diameter as a individual solution.

     

    and now I have do think about the price .....

     

    Michael

  14. Been using the Inon ringflash for a few months now - what a joy.

     

    Really has put a different perspective on my shooting - I find it tends to excell in the supermacro areas.

     

    my 2cents

  15. Hi Peter,

    I think from memory that you use Subal housings. What lens and port combinations are you using and are you using the S&S convertor to tame the Z-22's flash?

    Bruce

  16. Bruce

     

    CORRECT was on the subal but have started to fit the ring to the aquatica.

    Had a port made and am using on my aquatica D2X - getting anther port made so I can use the 105 VR and manual focus.

     

    In all I am pretty happy with this addittion.

     

    P

  17. Here is the z22 on a Nexus setup with extension ring for 2xTC

     

    Bruce, I think this is the picture I sent you. Did you try your z22 on your Nexus Multiport?

     

    m.

    post-2309-1171726631_thumb.jpg

    Edited by Starbuck
  18. Hi michael,

    Yse mate, I did try mounting the ringflash on the Nexus multiport. I seemed that it was on just getting to the 'gripping' screws and that's about all. The port that I had made slides all the way into the ringflash and the 'gripping' screws have full purchase.

     

    Hi pete,

    I had a custom port made up by Peter Ladell in England and it's a ripper. He made it up for the 60mm micro lens and all I do is add a 30mm extension for the 105 lens. I have used the 60 but not the 105 yet. I also have the Inon #3 screw in lens for added adjustability.

    I have also been working towards getting the S&S TTL convertor working for the Inon D70...I have seen successful trials with the D70 and the Z-22 but this was with the S&S housing. To this point, I have had a Nexus hotshoe connector 'modified' so that it is the same polarity as the S&S housing unit and this should negate the issues with the Nexus housing...As yet, this experiment has not been tried, although all components are ready 'to go'...

    If this modification does work, then it should be good for all S&S strobes, Inon strobes and Nexus housings.

     

    Bruce

  19. Hey Bruce -

     

    Can you post a picture of the 60mm port with the ring flash attached? I'd rather have the 60 with a 1.4TC than the 105..

     

    How do I contact Peter Ladell?

     

    Thanks Bruce!

     

    M.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.