Skip to content

Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic

Ring Flash

Started by Reefkeep ·

  • 35Posts
  • 35Replies

Read-only discussion

Ring Flash

35 posts
  1. Hi Michael,

    Peter Ladell can be found at peter@fullimmersionphoto.com

    When you are talking to him, ask him about his hand-made Nikon D200 housing. His work has to be seen to be believed!

    As for the photos of the custom port, I would love to show you the pics, but I need someone to talk me through the posting process for this forum? Everyone seems to be attaching thumbnails that are capable of being enlarged with a click of the mouse...how do I achieve this?

    Photo's have already been taken, I just need to know how to post them...

    It's 5am over here and I'm up and about to take my son to work. He has a school based apprenticeship, where he works two days and then does three days at normal schooling...

    I like the idea as to using the 1.4 T/C for the 60mm micro lens. I think that the 60mm is a great lens and was also thinking about the 1.4 convertor for it...have you used it in the field and what were the results compared to the 105mm?

    Talk soon mate...pics to follow,

    Bruce

  2. Hey Bruce-

     

    Thanks for Peter's address.

     

    If you go to "REPLY" and scroll down you will see "File attachments" then "browse". File size needs to be small...like in the 100-200k or less...Change your image size to like 640 x 480 or smaller, jpg, 72 dpi.

     

    On my last trip to Bali my wife shot with the 60 exclusively and I the 105.. The 60mm has (in my opinion) better DOF (which I like). We were shooting the same fire urchin and zebra crabs and her shots were sharper (d70, 60mm) and I thought better. She will tell you that she is the better photographer and that may be true!

     

    The 105 with extensions, etc is just tough to haul around and use U/W. If I can get the 60mm working with the ring flash it would be great!

     

    Thanks Bruce,

     

    M.

    Edited by Starbuck
  3. I will second Pete's work. He made the port that I use for the canon 60 and 100 macro on a Subal housing. Works great on manual, Mathias's ttl sort of works at small stops, but overexposes a bit even though it thinks its working and the green lights on the strobe appear to say TTL is working as well.

    Bill

  4. Pete can produce custom bits and pieces for all sorts of things - I've even had him skim hood/protectors of existing ports!

  5. post-1921-1171967362_thumb.jpgpost-1921-1171967405_thumb.jpgHi Guys,

    Michael, I have attached those pics that you have been waiting patiently for...

    I hope that they come through OK..?

    Don't worry if you don't hear from Peter straight away, he often goes off for a swim,

    but he will definately contact you when he gets the time...he's a nice bloke...

     

    Bruce

     

    Hi Michael,

    I think that i am getting the hang off this now...

    BTW, that little groove at the back of the front section of the port is for the gripping screws.

    Just push the ringflash onto the port and the screws line up with the groove...very neat.

    Two more...

     

    Bruce

    post-1921-1171967622_thumb.jpg

    post-1921-1171967657_thumb.jpg

    Edited by bruceterrill
  6. Hey Bruce-

     

    that is a very nice looking custom port for the 60mm and z22! The other end of the z22 where you screw in the wet diopter is very narrow...does that block the view of the 60mm at all? Maybe not since Peter has the strobe pushed back pretty far on the custom port.

     

    Anyway, I hope Peter is in the mood to make a few more!!!

     

    Thanks for posting the pictures.

     

    Mike

  7. Sorry Mike,

    Didn't think to take the measurements of where the lens finishes inside the port. From what I have seen, the lens jack's right out nearly to the glass and the Z-22 goes right back near the glass. Very impressive snug fit. I have had no problems with any loss of view from the set-up. I will take measurements if you want me to?

     

    Bruce

    post-1921-1171973808_thumb.jpg

  8. Hey Bruce-

     

    No, I dont need the measurements.....thanks.

     

    I emailed Peter yesterday...hope he replies with a "yes".

     

    Where are your pictures posted?

     

    M.

  9. Yes, the flash inside the UK-Germany unit is a MR-14EX.

    post-5528-1172318258_thumb.jpg

     

    We just completed a trip to the andamans and this unit was used pretty heavily.

    I will write a review (with pics) in a couple of weeks when I get back home.

     

    Please send me a PM with any specific details you might like covered in the review.

  10. Please send me a PM with any specific details you might like covered in the review.

    Mark: The questions I have are about how well the e-ttl worked if it did and how hard was it to handle the housing as it seems quite bulky from the pic.

    Bill

  11. Please send me a PM with any specific details you might like covered in the review.

     

    Mark: The questions I have are about how well the e-ttl worked if it did and how hard was it to handle the housing as it seems quite bulky from the pic.

    Bill

     

    TTL seemed to work well. after all it is using original Canon electronics.

    While the unit seems bulky when added to the housing the whole rig is only slightly negative. Easy to handle UW...

  12. Hey Michael,

    Did Peter get in touch with you?

    He has just got back from South Africa and the tiger Shark action.

    Geez, I hope that he has still got all his fingers; I've got a job for him... ;)

     

    Bruce

  13. Hi Bruce -

     

    No, Peter has not contacted me.... I'll drop him another email... I dont have any marco trips coming up so no worries on the port. When you get the SandS iTTL working let me know!

     

    M.

  14. The two (or more) little strobes are mounted at a ring holder fixed around a Makro port they are mounted on little arms ( 3 cm ) so you are able to turn up and down to get a flexible lighting .......

     

    Love to see some photos of your set up.

     

    I'm thinking that we might have off the shelf components that would work for a two Nano strobe set up using a dual port bracket made for LED44 focus lights. You'd need to have another hardwired strobe as an optical trigger though. I guess you could double them up... Might have to give this a try.

     

    Jack

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.