What is the best underwater digital camera I can get for $1000 Australian? Housing included.
- 6Posts
- 6Replies
Read-only discussion
The best camera for $1000
-
-
For that price range, you'd be looking at a consumer level camera. I'd suggest something like the Canon A620 + Canon housing. You should still have a bit of spare cash for an add-on lens.
-
Fuji E900 and Ike housing for around $700 USD, maybe a little less. You'll want add on lenses, strobe and tray, so that will take you over your budget.
Jack
-
-
I like the look of the canon A620. Is it considered a fast camera in terms of shutter lag and focusing? The fuji E900 also looks good but it is a touch to expensive, it dosent focus as closely as the A620 and takes xD memory cards, which only go up to 1GB (I want atlest 2GB especially for a 9MP camera). I might even wait for canon to bring out a newer version of the A620, since I dont need the camera till August.
-
If this helps....after my short experience with my P&S, here is a list of importance in order.
1. Shutter speed in low light.
2. Fast Lens. Better than f2.8.
3. RAW mode - wouldn't leave home without it.
4. Manual Mode (I found this invaluable so far)
5. Battery life and type (AA's rule because you can find them everywhere)
6. Ease of use (There's nothing like getting lost in your menus underwater)
7. Accessories (From strobes to wide angle) Are there any? TTL? How Much?
8. Megapixels - I overrated this feature when I was shopping.
9. Memory card - You can fit about 80 9-megapixel images on a 1 Gig card... sincerely that's 1 every 30 seconds if you stay under for 40 minutes.
I'm sure there is something missing since I'm new to this gig. The above list spells out DSLR if you can afford it. What I've found with most P&S's is they will be missing some of the above and you'll just have to decide what is most valuable to you. Here's a photo of mine with a breakdown in cost.