Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Contest Winners Posted

Started by james ·

  • 32Posts
  • 32Replies

Read-only discussion

Contest Winners Posted

32 posts
  1. alex, i for one stuck with nikon for the reasons you gave. i always thought it would be interesting to put same nikon and canon photos next to eachother to compare

  2. Thanks Karl. I really not as stupid as I appear.

     

    I knew I was in trouble when I saw Ron Boyes entries that didn't make it. Somewhere around 8 of them were better than any of mine.

     

    The quality of these "amatuer" submissions proves my theory.

  3. I would agree with Alex's observations as well. With the 10D and a collection EF lenses, I sat on the fence for years until the 5D came out. Prior to the EF-S 10-22 there was no way to get true ultra wide (weitwinkel) angle on the Canon 1.5 crop DSLRs. Canon still lacks a 180 fisheye for the 1.5 crop.

     

    The 1Ds series has always been in the stratosphere pricewise (same goes for the 1D enclosures).

  4. Thanks Karl.  I really not as stupid as I appear.

     

    George, I was speaking from experience :P:D I couldn't find them the first time either.

     

    Karl

  5. Hey I know !!!

     

    What about a video contest... :D

     

    Say with a time limit so it doesn't get to 'over the top' and also in different formats so we all can enter.

     

    That would be (as our American buddies say) AWESOME !!!

     

    Just an Idea :D

     

    I feel left out. boo hoo :P

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  6. Spend more money Dean.... stop moaning!

     

    :P:D:D:D:D:

  7. Do the judges view the images full size (actual pixels)? The rules said they would be viewd on a "large" monitor.

  8. Yes, we look at actual pixels, but we take resolution into account, and what it looks like on a "large" monitor. If the images won't print well, they'll have a hard time placing well.

  9. Some really great shot's Congrats to the winners as well as all who entered. Mark

  10. Eric,

     

    So, how do you tell good pixels from bad ones...I mean, what specific criteria do you use? What do those new to digital need to look for when preparing images so that their pixels are perfect?

     

    Joe

  11. Eric, just to add to Joe's and my questions. If the image is actually the minimum 2000px wide, what size print do you consider as good? Mine look pretty good on paper 8x10in at that resolution, but natch, if you blow 'em up to bigger, the quality/sharpness degrades.

     

    P.S. Eric, thanks for putting this contest together, it IS a lot of work. I really apreciate the special category for us compact shooters!!!

    Edited by Scubaskeeter
  12. I will add my rookie questions. Do you save from raw in 8bit/channel or 16bit/channel? For those of us with 6mega pixel cameras is resolution of 240dpi sufficent?

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.