Skip to content

Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic

Problem w/ S&S YS90DX

Started by rstark ·

  • 57Posts
  • 57Replies

Read-only discussion

Problem w/ S&S YS90DX

57 posts
  1. Cyber, could you explain a little further?

     

    Yahs, I really think it is a voltage problem. If I hadn't tried other CP5000's I would've thought it was the camera for sure. I'm sending everything to Japan on Friday.

  2. It is on it's way to Japan. I'll let you know in a month or so.

  3. Robert, any further update on the problem?

  4. Currently the whole thing is in Japan. The unofficial word is that there was somthing wrong with the camera. They sent it to Nikon Japan for repair. Just to remind you, I brought my whole setup into the Nikon Torrance facility and borrowed TWO units (one brand new in the box and the other a service demo). Both cameras I tested gave me the same results. I find it hard to believe that all three cameras were broke. If they were I think it's time for a Vegas trip. I figure I won't get the setup back for another month.

  5. Wow, weird gremlins.

     

    Hope you're holding up well. I wouldn't be able to survive so long without my rig :D . Shouldn't they be loaning you a replacement rig? Like the garages do with a 'courtesy' car? :P

  6. Got a call yesterday from S&S. They said that their is a problem. It could either be fixed by modifing the camera or the bulkhead of the housing as there is a difference in the circuitry between the USA model and the Japanese model. I told them to modify the housing. There is a bit of a language barrier between the tech an myself so it is hard to understand exactly what they are going to do. I will send the bulkhead to Aquatica when I get it back so Blake can see what they did.

  7. That may makes sense now. My strobes came from Japan and therefore would explain why mine have always worked.

     

    Glad to here the problem is getting cured for you.

  8. Actually they say it is not in difference is not in the strobe but in the camera. I assume that the US model and Canadian model are different. I'm still sceptical though.

  9. I think they may be different. Maybe the Canadian version is more "international" and therefore has some differences.

     

    I may ask the local photo shop if they know of any differences and let you know if they have any insight.

  10. Everyone I have talked with that is Nikon related says that all models (hardware wise) are the same. Maybe the fact that they're different is something they don't want to be public knowledge.

  11. I am trying not to gloat, but did made the statement on February 2 about Nikon sync circuit changes that started with the F5 camera. Suffice to say Ikelite SubStrobes and housings for the Coolpix 5000 camera work fine? The following URL explains all the tricks our housing does better than the exotica:

     

    http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/cp5000com.html

  12. Well I got it all back from Japan and guess what, it works! They added a resistor to the bulkhead circut board that does the job. I am still skeptical about their claims of the Japanese and US models of the CP5000 being physically different but with all the tests that were done it does fit into the puzzle.

     

    After all this they cross-threaded my front port threads and wanted to charge me $150 for shipping (under warrenty). I explained to them that it was not my fault that they could not fix the problem and had to send it over to Japan. At that point they got really pissed off and started taking all the batteries out of the strobes (I'm supprised they didn't take the orings also). After explaining the situation to the head of the US office he decided to drop the shipping charge.

     

    After all is said and done I have a bitter sweet feeling of the whole experience. I am very glad that the problem was solved even though it took 5 1/2 months. But toward the end I got the feeling that they didn't want to help anymore. Regardless, next time I go to buy strobes I will take a long hard look at cutomer service (it's worth every penny, hint, hint).

  13. Man I thought you/they had died. Glad to hear they work and, I have to admit the regular responses and offers of help from other strobe manufacturers certainly makes me wonder which I should have chosen also.

     

    Maybe others should offer a trade-in program. LOL :)

  14. If OTHERS did, I might have to take them up on it.

     

    One other request of OTHERS is that the next SMALL strobe have multiple manual settings. :)

  15. Insignificant little ikelite does have multiple manual settings in their small DS-50 strobe that has identical coverage and intensity. We simply put the adjustment down at the housing rather than at the end of your arm as per following URL:

     

    http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/ys90_5050.html

     

    Actually, can be more complicated as sync cord can be added but not required for use with the Coolpix. The Coolpix TTL works very well in our housing, negating need for manual strobe. We need a combined controller that allows choice of either TTL or manual operation. Some day...........

  16. We need a combined controller that allows choice of either TTL or manual operation. Some day...........

    Ike, is that a wishful sigh or a hint? :)

     

    Still holding off buying a second DS125 w manual controller in hope....... :blink:

     

    Robert, glad to know that it's all fixed.

  17. Combined controller will be a reality, but there are several other projects taking precedence............

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.