Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Subal D10 housing for the D100

Started by james ·

  • 33Posts
  • 33Replies

Read-only discussion

Subal D10 housing for the D100

33 posts
  1. Subal has put up more details and photos of their D10 housing on their site at:

     

    http://www.subal.com/fotoe/nikon/d_100/d_100.htm

     

    The housing looks beautiful and of course it accepts Subal ports - some of the finest in the market.

     

    I found out that the housing was "almost there" when I saw that Backscatter has it for sale on their website - in January 2003. Their list price is $2,900 for the housing. Ports extra.

     

    Cheers

    James

  2. I have one sitting on my coffe table in front of me. Am packing now to try it out the Weekend. Weather premitting. On trial, but I suspect I will buy it. :)

  3. Pretty.

     

    I like the look of the Nexus one as well.

     

    I loved my Nexus housing for my N90S (which I still have). I'd love one for my S2Pro. The Nexus housing I always liked over the Subal (which is very good as well)

     

    M

  4. Just go back from a 2 day with the Subal D100 housing. Sweet! Every bit as good as the F100 housing I traded for it. All controls work and line up flawlessly. Because of the conditions only shot macro. This housing is definetly a winner. The only the complaint could be dosen't have the digital ROC of the L&M housings. Very compact and light weight for this type of housing. More later. :)

     

    ps, it looks like a work of art.

  5. Pictures! We want Pictures! (Oh, I mean pictures of the housing, and taken WITH the housing Dave).

     

    Cheers

    An extremely jealous James Wiseman

  6. That definitely is a beautiful housing. From the specs it looks light weight too.

     

    So, based on your 2 days, did it find a new home with you?

  7. O yeah! Housing does seem lighter than my old F100 housing. They use the same O ring though.

  8. Very nice...

  9. Dave,

     

    Nice! These are the first "real" photos of the D10 housing that I have seen.

     

    How is the viewfinder?

     

    It looks like you're using one manual strobe controller and one TTL controller. How do you like that setup? It looks like a royal pain to aim them using those triple-clamps.

     

    Cheers

    James

  10. You don't have to aim the manual controller. I'm going to work on a configuration where it lies along side the handle out of the way and when I get a second one for the other side put it out of the way. I was only shooting macro so it was no prob aiming the Remote TTL sensor. I have shot the old style wide angle and didn't have any probs with it either. The triple clamps are more of a prob. Still working on set up and best config. The housing and camera combo are a winner though. I found I preferred using the manual controller to using TTL and bracketting. :)

     

     

    The viewfinder was great. I think it is the same one they used for their F100 housing. One of the best ones on the market. Very easy to use. Only prob is the LCD is so bright that it interferes with looking thru the view finder when it is on.

  11. How were you setting your strobes for your macro shots? Set the power switch on strobe #1 at full and then use the controller to reduce power? The second strobe is slaved and matches the output of strobe #1? What setting worked the best as far as power output? The images don't have a lot of dynamic range, but the exposure looks right on. Any post processing adjustments?

     

    This set up would seem easier than having two controllers where you have to keep changing both dials to get equal output.

  12. Where were the shots taken?

  13. With the Ike manual controller, you set the strobe at TTL. The controller will reduce the power of the strobe in 1/2 stop incriments to - 4.5 stops from full power. You have 10 stops. The remote slave sensor wil mimic the power of the strobe that fires. You can get ratioed lighting by very the strobe to subject distance of the strobes. Most were shot at around -3 stops from full power.

     

    All shots from the northern channel islands, CA. Specifically the Santa Rosa east end pinnacles and Gull Island. :ph34r:

  14. I am just getting into digital, and this is my first posting on the site.

     

    At the end of last year I finally started digital underwater with a Nikon D100 in a Subal D10. I have written a review of the system in the next issue of Underwater Photography Magazine (free on-line)! Which is due to be out at the end of the month but possibly earlier. I have only used the camera in the UK in the sea, lake and pool so there are no fantastic images (but that is the fault of the user and the locations and not the camera)!

     

    It is a great bit of kit. Easy to use with good ergonomics. Camera takes all my existing lenses and the housing takes all my Subal ports. Main drawbacks are the small viewfinder compared with say a F5 or RS, lack of TTL and still in most cases D-TTL. Something the S2 does much better I gather.

  15. I'd love to see some sunburst shots for comparison with the D60, E20, S2.

     

    On your sunset shot there is some lens flare, and then a weird artifact on the cloud near the sun - maybe also flare. What lens was this taken with?

  16. I would echo Kasey's requests - I think the D60's CMOS would come out on top, but I could be wrong!

     

    Please post them in GIMME THE BLUES in members photos

  17. Good to have you here Alex. I can't wait to see some of your shots.

     

    Kasey, Where did you see Alex's sunset shot? He didn't post his website and I don't see a link to the photo anywhere.

     

    Cheers

    James

  18. Check the gallery!

  19. Not mine! They are Dave's shots. Although I have taken plenty of sunsets with my D100 in the few months of ownership.

     

    A couple of my D100 test shots from the UK - sea, freshwater and pool are online at

     

    http://www.soton.ac.uk/~atmu/D100/d100.html

     

    But none are very good yet. Let me get the camera somewhere nice first....!

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.