Now maybe I'm going to start up another loooong thread all about the pros and cons of Macs v. PC....... that's not my aim...... but just for eveyone's amusement, I only speak Apple........ so if you want to claim that I am biased then just maybe you're right....
Or maybe all of the cons I am about to point out about WMP only occur on Macs, and Windows suffer the exact same problems when using QT on their PCs...... If so, then pleeeease educate me!
Down to the point, I have 320 x 240 clips in my gallery - on my website - which are all pretty much compressed down to around about 1MB per minute of actual video........
http://www.waterworksproductions.biz/gallery.htm you'll need to scroll down the page to find the video clips on offer..................
Now, surely the picture quality that I have acheived here is a wee bit (alright then, I'll blow my own trumpet, it is EXPONENTIALLY) better than the WMP files which I have seen that are compressed to around 2MB (approx.) per minute of video.....
Maybe I am acheiving this because I compress the soundtrack quite unsympathetically...... But still, the picture quality that I have acheived is remarkable compared to WMP files which have a data rate double and even 8X the rate of mine.... I've just been watching a clip compressed to 1000kbps...... REALLY pixellated!
PLUS - when watching a QT file, I can drag a playhead to position and the video scrolls along with it..... when releasing the playhead images continue immediately.... thus when watching a long clip I can scroll through loking for the interesting part.
When watching a WMP file, I cannot scroll through the timeline searching for an interesting place to stop and when I do decide to move the playhead on and continue watching I have to wait five to ten seconds for the video to catch up with the sound and start rolling! What? I am talking about WMP files which I have downloaded and therefore shouldn't be buffering or anything...
Oh my, I forgot!!! BUFFERING!!! Viewing QT off the 'net and they start immediately - well they load part of the clip first but at least I can start watching it when I decide to...... WMP files buffer for ages before they start playing and then after a little while, stop to re-buffer....... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..................
I thought buffering was something that Dot-Matrix printers of the eighties and early nineties used to have to do before starting to print..... Actually, modern printers still buffer don't they? Point being, Quicktime doesn't.....
`
I could go on for hours about this, but won't cos those pros at Apple have very kindly done it all for me!
check out the facts at http://www.apple.com/quicktime/whyqt/
Very interested in other people's views on the matter......
You can't argue with the truth, which in this case makes a QT a VERY sweet pudding to masticate upon.......
Chris