Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Baby's Name - Marine themes?

Started by Cybergoldfish ·

  • 31Posts
  • 31Replies

Read-only discussion

Baby's Name - Marine themes?

31 posts
  1. My first son was born in August 2001 - His name is Reef, a name that came quickly and easily (3 months into pregnancy) and was unanimously accepted by family, friends and even my wife!

    It was my attempt to raise awareness of the marine environment in which I work and keep him forefront in my mind wherever I am in the world diving. Uniquely there may never be a stigma attached to this unique Christian name: However, choosing a follow-on is proving very hard work!

     

    There are 700 of you members out there, see what you can come up with.

     

    A name chosen from a members submition will win him or her a weeks free accommodation & diving here in Seychelles (Free Accom for a partner too). Staying on Mahe with local diving out of Beau Vallon Bay & a special day trip to Praslin to dive with the sharks - This is not an easy thing to win as my wife gets the final say.

     

    Nothing rediculous please as he will have to get through school, and he will grow up knowing your address! :)

     

    This is Reef, hopefully the new one will be similar.

  2. How about Jacques or Enzo?

     

    My second runner up is Rusty - which is short for Russell.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. I'll go for 'Reid' or 'Reed'

     

    Mark

  4. PS If I win I don't want the babies room!

  5. Out of curiousity do you know for sure what the child's sex is going to be? Or should we suggest names for both males and females. At present I am running under the assumption that it is going to be a boy.

     

    I think Coral (maybe he can go by Corey) might be a nice name.

     

    Or perhaps Tidus (or Tyde) as it has a similar sound to tides.

     

    Ian

  6. If anyone suggests Carol Bob won't speak to you again.

     

    Ask HIM why!!

  7. Out of curiousity do you know for sure what the child's sex is going to be?  Or should we suggest names for both males and females.  At present I am running under the assumption that it is going to be a boy.

     

    I think Coral (maybe he can go by Corey) might be a nice name.

     

    Or perhaps Tidus (or Tyde) as it has a similar sound to tides.

     

    Ian

    Sorry I was clear in my own mind! Yes, it's a boy - A great set of testicles apparent on the sonar!

  8. Yeah, Titus...now there is a kid that won't get bugged in school.

  9. Titus a what?

  10. A little different but how about...

     

    Mare - Latin for the sea. Pronounced ma-reh

     

    Aquario - Spanish for Aquarius. Pronounced ah-qua-ree-oh

  11. Whats about "Mola" (like MolaMola the Sunfish)

     

    There is a German TV moderator named Mola, I think its an african name.

     

    Simon

  12. My girlfriend (Lilac) suggests "Ray" ...

  13. Reef is adorable! And what a great name.

    So when are 'we' due? :)

     

    My name suggestions are....

     

    Surge

     

    Finn

     

    & Ray (already suggested by Patterns)

     

     

    Keep us posted.

     

    CJ

  14. If you named him Serge, he could work as the host in your art gallery!

  15. Here are a couple for you on themes:

     

    Ithamal-Biblical meaning island of the palm tree

     

    Jezer-Biblical meaning island of help

     

    Nye-English meaning island

     

    Mariano or Marianos-Latin meaning of the sea

     

    Merrick-English meaning ruler of the sea

     

    Kai-Hawaiian meaning sea

     

    Morven-Welsh meaning child of the sea

     

    Zale-Greek meaning sea strength

     

    Pelles-Aurthorian legend meaning Fisher king

     

    Merril-English meaning shining sea

     

    Talos-Greek meaning giant protector of Minos island

  16. Jesus, you're really going for it now!

  17. I went through it 8 months ago today so I already had some info available.

  18. Crikey Todd, done your homework there!

    What did you end up calling yours?

  19. Merreck- Ruler of the Sea.

  20. If you named him Serge, he could work as the host in your art gallery!

    Funny that you should say that... I was thinking of opening a branch of Marinart in Mahe!

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.