Okay, for all you hard core Mac, Final Cut Pro folk...here are my very biased recommendations.
Once again I will hardily recommend using both the www.kenstone.net and the www.lafcpug.org sites for forum, book, animation, 3rd party plug in and tutorial reviews. I generally use the kenstone site when I have a question or problem as response time is usually within a few hours or a day at most. If this site was around when I first started I would have progressed much faster. Another FCP and associated apps site is the original editing site www.2-pop.com When FCP first came out this was the only one out there. I do not think it is as user friendly as the kenstone site but is still an excellent source of info.
Books; the best reference book without a doubt is Lisa Brenneis's book "Final Cut Pro for Mac OSX", Peachpit Press. You can get it online or at any Barnes & Noble. Buy it for whatever version of FCP you might be using. It is the ultimate 'go to' book when you have forgotten a procedure or simply want to know how to do something. If I could have only one book this would be it.
Another book which is project based in its tutorials is the Final Cut Pro book within the Apple Pro Training Series....we learn by doing and you can use the book's accompanying disc's media to guide you through the books own projects. The Apple Pro Training Series(also from PeachPit Press) has books for DVD Studio Pro, Soundtrack and Motion as well and all are excellent. You will find reviews on any of these books on the aforementioned websites. One last book is "Final Cut Pro" on the Spot by Shapiro and published by CMP books. This one is a collection of some nifty tricks and shortcuts but is not a book to learn the application by.
Disc Tutorials....If you are just starting I might recommend the "Getting Started in FCP" and then as you get a bit more advanced "Creating Motion Effects in FCP". These are both produced by Ripple Training who also have online and downloadable tutorials on their website; www.rippletraining.com
You might also want to check on the reviews about the DMTS tutorial discs found at www.dvcreators.net These I also think are pretty good and comprehensive.
3rd Party Plug ins- Depending on what you need and your wallet.
Animations- Ditto
Buy too much and you will spend a fortune, just glad I don't have to pay for all this stuff(smirk,smirk)
If there is more info you need, don't hesitate.
Steve B)