After reading several horror stories about stolen camera gear, specifically in Puerto Rico, where I will be travelling through in December, I am reconsidering my packing arrangements. Although my stuff is insured, I couldn't stand the agony of arriving somewhere, only to discover I will not be shooting photos, at least with my own gear.
I have a Lowepro Roller 2, which I believe is their largest that is a legal carry-on. I have always packed the camera body, lenses, and strobes (because they fit) and a lot of miscellaneous items. The rest had to be checked and I have been using a Pelican 1610 for 4 years now. This is one of the very ones that has been the most susceptible. It will not all fit in a Lowepro like mine unless I leave out the dome port.
Has anybody found a carry-on sized case that will handle a DSLR housing, 8" dome port, macro port, extensions, arms, and connectors? Since my wife doesn't shoot and doesn't utilize her allotment of carr-on, we can make a 2nd photo case work. I am thinking that any critical components that I can't live without, need to be with me.