Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Carry-on for DSLR Housing

Started by scottyb ·

  • 28Posts
  • 28Replies

Read-only discussion

Carry-on for DSLR Housing

28 posts
  1. I've flown CX, JAL and PAL from YVR to Manila, usually CX through HKG, I've never been hassled with my backpack, I see them hassle the folks with roller bags but not back packs. I'd be waiting to board in HKG and they'll skim by me and concentrate on the rollers.

     

    Just make like you're not about to collapse under the weight of your gear. :lol: I've been stopped once, on a return leg from Manila to HKG. I opened my pack, showed them the camera gear and they waved me through.

     

    S.

  2. I've flown CX, JAL and PAL  from YVR to Manila, usually CX through HKG, I've never been hassled with my backpack, I see them hassle the folks with roller bags but not back packs.  I'd be waiting to board in HKG and they'll skim by me and concentrate on the rollers.

     

    Just make like you're not about to collapse under the weight of your gear.  :lol:  I've been stopped once, on a return leg from Manila to HKG.  I opened my pack, showed them the camera gear and they waved me through.

     

    S.

     

    ah, but they're usually lenient to those transiting from long hauls. But I agree, roller bags definitely do get more scrutiny...

  3. I've flown a lot too, and I've never been hassled with my rolling carry-on. By the way, I use a regular Samsonite case, it doesn't make sense to me buying a Pelican as a carry-on since it is not going to be tossed around and it is heavier than the others.

     

    Luiz

  4. I've been thinking about some roll-on bags that have additional padding and compartments for photo gear. Such as:

     

    http://tenba.com/products/2000_01_1106.asp

     

    http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/...W_Patented.aspx

     

    These seem like they would have sufficient room for housing, ports, strobes, arms, bodies and lenses. You can also wear the Lowepro like a backpack, which is nice. I'll probably have to take all of my gear to a photo store and try to jam it into a case to make a decision. "Sir, can I help you?"

  5. I told my wife that I was making some official looking placards that said:

     

    CAUTION!! Sensitive Sewage Monitoring Equipment.

    Open with care.

     

    She nixed the idea for fear that the airlines wouldn't accept the bags :lol:

  6. I told my wife that I was making some official looking placards that said:

     

    CAUTION!! Sensitive Sewage Monitoring Equipment.

    Open with care.

     

    She nixed the idea for fear that the airlines wouldn't accept the bags :blink:

     

    Just don't rinse your wetsuit after the last dive and use that as padding for your gear. :lol::D

  7. Has anybody found a carry-on sized case that will handle a DSLR housing, 8" dome port, macro port, extensions, arms, and connectors? Since my wife doesn't shoot and doesn't utilize her allotment of carr-on, we can make a 2nd photo case work. I am thinking that any critical components that I can't live without, need to be with me.

     

    Scotty,

     

    I've been catching up with the whole San Juan thing and thought you might be interested in my latest carry-on strategy. I had to switch from StormCase carry-ons to Think Tank carry-ons specifically to fit some 8" ports...

     

    http://www.mvpix.com/photographers/archive...yon-review.html

     

    LateR!

    js.

  8. Scotty,

     

    I've been catching up with the whole San Juan thing and thought you might be interested in my latest carry-on strategy. I had to switch from StormCase carry-ons to Think Tank carry-ons specifically to fit some 8" ports...

     

    http://www.mvpix.com/photographers/archive...yon-review.html

     

    LateR!

    js.

     

    My safari-centric friend has just switched over to ThinkTank and I'm tempted to do the same. The regulation oriented sizes are perfect for getting as much kit into the overhead as possible. I have a hold-based setup which I used for Cayman, where everything goes into a peli, but I'd ideally go with an Airport Security roller. If I have to check the domeport in a little peli or rubbermade box then so be it.

     

    Thanks for linking to those setup pics for the Ikelite rigs, it has spurred me on.

     

    Martyn

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.