Dave,
Get ready for a long haul. Its not as simple as just putting up clips on your site and then waiting for the phone to ring off the hook. It takes a lot of time and efforts relating to marketing your skill and wares as well as the networking etc. I used to do a huge amount of that kinda stuff in the early days and found it was taking up about 65% of my time. Time I'd rather spend in the water. BUT, meeting the right people at the right time is just something that happens at the most unimaginable times. The first pro gig I got was from a contact in Tenerife. I used to live there doing the regular video gig with some dive shops. A guy diving with us one day with a camera turned out to be Finlands leading natural history film producer on a recce for an EU sponsored production. Three years in the making Wild Wild Canaries ended up with 12 minutes of my underwater footage and went on to win awards around the European Festival Circuits.
Its all about making the right contacts. I'd suggest a mail shot to some local smaller production companies to start. Waiting for the "big boys" is always something we continualy hope for. Make a name for yourself in the lower echelons of production entities and, if you are any good, the word will spread.....but not overnight. Once you ahve a couple of good pro credits to your name, up the ante and start contacting larger production houses. Maybe produce a short film of your own etc etc and market that through festivals around your home area.
Rates wise it is difficult to nail any one rate. Underwater footage, in its own right, is difficult to hammer down and there's no real second chance for those behavioral shots, not on a single dive anyway. I normally (DV Rates) sell on a sliding scale from $20 a second for generic underwater scenes etc up to $125 a second for rare, hard to find underwater footage - 2 tiger sharks ripping apart a Manta Ray in Yap for example.
Day rates vary. I'm normally charging $650 a day for DV filming with specific shoots going up to $850 a day. These rates are due for revision as I prepare for the Z1. I also vary my services offered and have a different daily rate option for the following:
1) Camera operator + Housing / Camera + W/A lens + Ext. Monitor.
2) Camera operator (+ all of the above) + Underwater Lighting + Camera Assistant
3) All of the above + Field Edit and string out plus EDL for the project.
I see by your avatar and 'handle' that you are also a tech diver. That puts you into a completely different realm. Its very likely that you could be involved in commissions to film deep wrecks, images of which have never been seen since its demise. That in itself provides for a certain level of financial bargaining power on your behalf.
The only thing we all ask is that you stick to your guns and not offer yourself in return for credits. That, in the beginning, may sound attractive and an easy way to get your name in lights but it undermines the integrity of others who try their best to make a living in this game.
I was recently approached by an 'Asian' Concern who were looking for new footage from Palau, my base, for a promotional travel based programme. The person contacting me was boasting that the end product would be seen in 16 million homes, over 30 countries around the world and generate huge interest in Palau as a destination for divers ............ blah blah blah. You get the idea? They wanted the footage for free in return for end of programme credits. This was no small entity either. One of the largest in Asia. I wrote back to them pretty much just pointing out that as a media distribution agency I found it difficult to comprehend the reasoning behind their project. How could they expect to make a really professional project, in HD, and expect at the same time that the base element of their product, the underwater footage, would be available free of charge. Do they think that I do what I do, along with the investment of tens of thousands of dollars, just for the fun of it? As a hobby? ............Needless to say I never heard from them again. Stick by those guns and I'm sure the right results will come in the end. Turning down certain jobs will in the end actually enhance your 'reputation' as being a straight shooting, no nonsense professional.
Cheers,
Mark.