Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Nikon releases new software

Started by Rocha ·

  • 21Posts
  • 21Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon releases new software

21 posts
  1. Nikon has today made available a trial version of its all new image workflow software Capture NX. NX is a result of collaboration between Nik software and Nikon, and is widely anticipated by Nikon owners (as its speciality will be Nikon raw, NEF, conversion). Capture NX will cost $149.95 for the full package or $89.95 as an upgrade when it goes on sale later this month. The 30-day trial is availlable for download here:

     

    http://www.capturenx.com/

     

    There are mixed user reviews at dpReview, but most people seem to be pleased with it so far.

    Edited by Rocha
  2. Does it have any type of browser in or with it???

  3. maybe I missed something...

     

    download is listed as "coming soon".

  4. lol I guess I was just a bit to quick. The PC version was ready first...

  5. Did you install it Richard? How do you like it? I was very disappointed to see that the Mac version is PPC and not Intel optimized, it will run very slow on intel macs... :D

     

    Luiz

  6. Luiz, as to speed, I think it is relative.

     

    The MBP is so fast... slow still seems faster than other systems.

     

    I could always run the PC version, but I am beginning the process of moving as much of my software as possible to the Mac. Adobe actually asked my to download CS2 before they transfered my license to the MAC because of "speed issues".

     

    Yeah, the PC runs Adobe a bit faster than Tiger, but the difference is minute. As to NX, instead of comparing I just "tried it". Seems plenty fast for now, and I am sure there will be a "universal" release soon enough. I am looking forward to booting to XP only for AutoCAD and nothing else...

     

    My test is a bit limited, as I am only able to work with Jpeg and Tiffs at the moment. Unlike capture One, NX is NEF only. No more Fuji support.

     

    Hopefully by the time I get the D2X, they will be ready for the Intel!

  7. I have a 3 GIG PC and it runs great.

    Opens up my raw D70 pics no problems.

     

    It has alot of tools and I quite like it.

    Fix up distorted pics.

    Fix up specs on the lens. Like a clone tool.

    Nice navigator like Photoshop.

    Change just certain areas of the pic colour wise.

    Black Control.

    Colour etc control.

     

    Twin 17 inch screens work well with all the tools on the second screen. Click the little arrows and tools all go home. Browser window fills all second screen to look for pic then closes.

     

    Not bad...

  8. I've played with it some and for some pics it works well and some, well, I haven't figured out how to work it, if possible. I've not read any or the manual or much of the how-to parts.

     

    But here is one which, color-wise I thought was not remotely recoverable and I did the change with a black control point, a neutral control point and 2 color control points. I know the color isn't "great" but I suspect if I get better with the program it would be better and I picked an extreme example to play with.

     

    Before:

     

    post-1010-1152665953_thumb.jpg

     

    After:

     

    post-1010-1152665970_thumb.jpg

    Edited by sdingeldein
  9. Thats great, what does the full size pic look like now?

     

    Further messing around with it, looks like it has not got a clone tool to get rid of camera specs that may turn up in shots, eveything else works great.

  10. Someone mentioned that it did, but I have not found it... I thought I asked the rep about that when I played with it at the demo a few weeks ago, and was under the impression there was not a cleanup feature.

     

    I guess I should spend a bit more time going over all of the features...

  11. It would be really strange if it didnt have a cleanup function, as most digital SLRs suffer from dust on the sensor.

     

    Cor

  12. I am looking forward to booting to XP only for AutoCAD and nothing else...

     

     

    Wow, I thought I was the only one running AutoCAD on a MBP! I hear what you're saying, I only boot XP for AutoCAD and Suunto Dive Manager. Maybe with the next OS we won't even have to do that :lol:

  13. Any of you guys find a clone tool or similar in this program?

     

    I like what it does but it's useless if you cannot get rid of camera specs etc.

  14. Found the answer....just read some reviews on Capture NX...there is no clone tool <_<

     

    O well maybe later updates.....sticking with CS for now...

  15. Thanks Wag... I was going NUTS trying to find it! :lol:

  16. Change just certain areas of the pic colour wise.

    If that is implemented in the manner in which I'm imagining, the rules for many competitions are going to have to become even stricter.

    Edited by segal3
  17. Hi,

     

    Can anyone recommend a website with a tutorial or detailed review of Nikon Capture NX?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Marcelo Krause.

  18. Hi,

     

    Can anyone recommend a website with a tutorial or detailed review of Nikon Capture NX?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Marcelo Krause.

     

    Hi Marcelo

     

    Nikon Imaging has a good series of tutorials at this website.

     

    I really like this application - the only thing I haven't found that I use regularly on CS2 is a Save for Web function. I know Save As can do it, but I like the resizing in the CS2 function......

     

    Cheers

     

    Des

  19. there is a new version of NX out. v1.01

     

    btw, I am using Capture NX on a new MacPRO along with Aperture.

     

    NX certainly doesn't seem any slower - and maybe a bit quicker - than it did under my G4, so the speed bump on the MacPro under Rosetta more than makes up for the non-universal version. Same with Photoshop 7 in my experience.

     

    I like Aperture a lot and it is a great organizer, etc - iPhoto on steroids. Performance is good. The lift and stamp tools are wonderful. There are just a few things that I can do in NX that I haven't figured out how to do in Aperture yet. I love the NX WB tool - picking gray point with marquee especially.

     

    I find that a shot of sand bottom using available light really works pretty well with the gray point marquee. Also, the control point function seems really powerful. Still learning about all this...

     

    attached is available light photo I fooled around with - one "as shot" and one "as corrected", 10.5mm lens, Nikon D50 in a Sea and Sea housing. viz that day was about 40-60 feet above the bow; 10-20 ft below the bow; depth 85 ft.; 125 s/f5.6 at iso 400; I tweaked the lens distortion a bit in the "corrected" version - a tool that NX has built in.

     

     

    Edited by bfdc
Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.