Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Sardine Run Video 06 (link and embedded video)

Started by Drew ·

  • 31Posts
  • 31Replies

Read-only discussion

Sardine Run Video 06 (link and embedded video)

31 posts
  1. To auspiciously herald the restart of the hopefully hackfree forum, I thought I'd post a little video from this year's first 2 weeks of activity.

    It's 8.8mb and you will need quicktime 7.

     

    Sardinops Sagax Runneth Vid

     

    As you cannot tell, many of the baitballs were etrumeus teres (aka redeye round herring or "redeyes" as the locals like to call them) and a few of the scenes were sardinops sagax mixed in. You can see that the behavior of the redeye are similar to the sardinops except they tend not to as tight or gather in large numbers.

    In fact the last 7 years , I've seen redeye, anchovy and even mackerel baitballs along the coast of South Africa. Obviously the reason for the name "sardine run" is due to the fact that the sardines invariably move up the east coast of south africa annually. And many predators have timed their young to be weaned on the sardines. However, off the continental shelf, the research ship has routinely scooped redeye, anchovy and mackerel as well as sardines. For this reason, it should be called the Great Saoud Ahfreekah Baitball Run... but that doesn't slip off the tongue as easily as sardine. Anyhow, welcome back to Wetpixel and enjoy the short vid.

    Edited by scubadru
  2. Yo Scubadrew, this is one dive I haven't done and I am sooooo jealous. Loved the music, nice job on the editing. I am surprised though, I always thought that there'd be tons of sharks participating in the feed.

     

    Glad wetpixel is up and running.-Steve B)

  3. Good stuff Drew ... I am amazed that you managed to reduce all your video down to that short clip .. years of practice at being picky huh !

     

    I was waiting for this so I could pass it round some of my freinds who just didnt get how cool this experience can be .. video really only does it justice for the whole deal.

  4. I like the end bit... By Drew Wong...then All Rights....are you right or Wong.... :blink:

     

    Those birds are amazing and how lucky to get a Whale breach like that from before it broke the surface.

    Did you just roll and roll to catch it. I know the new Big Sony camera's have a 15 second buffer kind of thing so that as long as the camera is on and pointing in the direction, if the action happens and you then press record you still get the shot cause the camera has it in it's 15 second buffer before you hit the record button. Great for waiting animal action.

     

    Good work... :)

  5. Good stuff Drew ... I am amazed that you managed to reduce all your video down to that short clip .. years of practice at being picky huh !

    I was waiting for this so I could pass it round some of my freinds who just didnt get how cool this experience can be .. video really only does it justice for the whole deal.

    Well, we only had about 6 baitballs in the first 2 weeks. So it was kinda slim pickings. The one you were in is in the 3rd tape. The first was kinda destroyed by saltwater. That had the best u/w whale, shark and dolphin stuff. :blink: This stuff is all from the 2nd tape.

     

    I like the end bit... By Drew Wong...then All Rights....are you right or Wong.... :) Those birds are amazing and how lucky to get a Whale breach like that from before it broke the surface.

    Did you just roll and roll to catch it. I know the new Big Sony camera's have a 15 second buffer kind of thing so that as long as the camera is on and pointing in the direction, if the action happens and you then press record you still get the shot cause the camera has it in it's 15 second buffer before you hit the record button. Great for waiting animal action.

    Oh that was so funny and original I never heard that joke before. Media is cheap, you find an active whale and just start rolling and anticipate where it will pop. Takes a few years of watching their positions in relation to their last breath etc. then you take a big guess. :blink:

    Edited by scubadru
  6. As usual, superb Drew. I'm glad to know there's someone around who procrastinates as much as I do. :blink: One day, I'll be one of those pesky still photogs on the run :)

  7. Hey, I just don't feel like going through 4 tapes... It's just for people to get the feel of the run. The full edit is a private inhouse screening only. :)

  8. good stuff drew.... even i downloaded it!!! hahahahaha that means a lot you know... :)

  9. but I just put it up 3 days ago... you only took that long? :)

  10. Hey, I just don't feel like going through 4 tapes... It's just for people to get the feel of the run. The full edit is a private inhouse screening only. :(

    Do you serve popcorn? :)

  11. Sensational as usual Drew!! It's actually amazing how different it looks each year. Fascinating to see those other species schooling too.

     

    Still can't believe you nailed those humpbanks. Bloody perfect! :)

     

    W E L L D O N E !! !!

  12. Crikey!

     

     

    You're just determined to make us all spend ~6k/yr, aren't you.

     

    Excellent stuff, thanks for sharing.

  13. Yeah a pretty unusual thing to get the bonito in the shot. Wish I saw it coming but those guys zoom in and out like missiles.

    I admit that the whales were manipulated to breach. We sent Giles and Eric underwater with a poker to send them up at a precise place and time. :(

     

    Speaking of padrino Cheng, he's been working hard at allowing us to embed not only google, youtube but also WMV and QT files. So without much ado:

     

    Sensational as usual Drew!! It's actually amazing how different it looks each year. Fascinating to see those other species schooling too.

     

    Still can't believe you nailed those humpbanks. Bloody perfect! :)

     

    W E L L D O N E !! !!

     

     

    Crikey!

    You're just determined to make us all spend ~6k/yr, aren't you.

     

    Excellent stuff, thanks for sharing.

    Dude, stop with the C word. As much as I liked Steve, I feel like most ozzies did before his death... hair standing cringe when he does that C word thing.

    Edited by Drew
  14. Such amazing stuff Drew, I can see why you are addicted. And yes, that whale breach from a flat surface is UNbelievable - like knowing a sub has just released a Polaris with your cam fixed on the designated spot!

     

    Looking forward to my first fix next June.

  15. Sorry Nick, Justin for his b'day present asked that you not be present on the boat but your new housing is allowed in your stead. :)

     

    Btw, I'm not addicted... really I'm not addicted... I'm not... really I'm not.....

  16. Dude, stop with the C word. As much as I liked Steve, I feel like most ozzies did before his death... hair standing cringe when he does that C word thing.

     

    I never understood why some Australians were bothered by him, or by the C word (which I use in day to day conversation all the time, and have done since well before Crocodile Hunter first started to screen over here).

     

    Would you prefer strewth, I feel that is quite appropriate to your footage as well. :)

  17. I think I had this conversation with some Ozzies in Sydney back in 2000. They were saying americanism had taken hold of australia and the world after our waitron(you've haven't gone there yet!) said "are you guys done?" I think why some ozzies have a problem with the Hogans and Irwins is that of socio-economic status language. Crikey, sheilas and even strewth are common colloquialisms that they don't want to be associated to and don't want him representing ozzies as crikeymites... so yes those ozzies are just bloody snobs.

    My peeve is how he said it... CRIIII KEEE. Cringe!!

  18. They poked the whales? My heart is breaking. :rolleyes:

  19. Drew.. stop using the word Dude...you sound way too Californian and i cringe.... eh... :unsure:

     

    Fairybasslet, don't worry about Giles and poking of whales... he is a trained professional in that arena... :rolleyes:

    Edited by MikeVeitch
  20. But I do the NY dude... not duuuude, but dude.

     

    And don't make fun of pretty boy's poking... even whales have taste.

     

    Ellen, I guarantee no animals were mistreated in the making of that video.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.